A founder member of The Independent David Lister joined the paper in 1986 as Assistant Home Editor. He became the paper's arts correspondent in 1988 and is now Arts Editor and writes a column each Saturday. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
Sherlock has succeeded in bringing back 'appointment television', but the BBC shouldn't spoil it by patronising audiences
17 January 2014 04:26 PM
Why couldn't the Beeb leave it to us to spot the show's final twist?
14 January 2014 10:52 AM
St James Theatre, London
13 January 2014 12:00 AM
11 January 2014 12:00 AM
Portrait of a trailblazing manager who took Arsenal, and football, to new heights
10 January 2014 05:12 PM
Actresses should be allowed to play more of the great classic male roles
03 January 2014 03:28 PM
Let’s make 2014 the year for audiences
20 December 2013 12:52 PM
ENO artistic director appears to have experience a fiscal Christmas epiphany
13 December 2013 03:20 PM
We should be pleased when the mask slips and backbiting begins
06 December 2013 06:05 PM
There is an argument that it could become a prize for painting
29 November 2013 06:03 PM
There’s nothing wrong with trying to make classical music more accessible to younger audiences
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years