A founder member of The Independent David Lister joined the paper in 1986 as Assistant Home Editor. He became the paper's arts correspondent in 1988 and is now Arts Editor and writes a column each Saturday. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
Allegations of domestic violence will change not just Roberto Alagna's but Angela Gheorghiu’s image forever
01 July 2013 10:09 PM
Angela Gheorghiu is everyone’s idea of the superstar opera singer: a hugely gifted soprano with electric stage presence, who also happens to be beautiful, full of star quality and something of a diva to boot.
28 June 2013 08:03 AM
Plus: Opera in English? Sorry, I'll need that in writing and some frankly filthy language at the Globe this summer
21 June 2013 08:00 AM
Plus The honour is all his in the Panter household and Private Lives' Toby Stephens picks a very public fight with Joan Collins
15 June 2013 10:31 AM
Plus: Lord Rogers makes an exhibition of himself; Sky could benefit from some history revision
08 June 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: Let's not take theatre programmes as read; and who is this 'Leonardo DiCaprio' who contributes to problems with the water in Venice?
01 June 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: An interesting insight into industrial relations from Eddie Braben's obituary and is Harry Hill in bed with the devil he's lampooning?
25 May 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: The mother, father, sister and brother of all Cannes press conference questions and the first cut is the deepest, as Rod Stewart well knows
23 May 2013 12:00 AM
But in an age of austerity many of the works have a serious side. David Lister on politics and partying at the pavilions.
18 May 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: No sympathy for the devil in the booking detail for The Rolling Stones at Hyde Park, and how did ITV's Savile documentary not win a BAFTA?
11 May 2013 12:01 AM
Plus: This rehang will transform the Tate Britain and a chorus of disapproval for these Cambridge folk
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 'Necrophilia-obsessed' girl among double murder accused in three-way sex case
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve