Eric Appleby is the interim Chief Executive of Alcohol Concern, having previously held the post between 1990 and 2004. In the intervening period he has worked as freelance consultant with a wide range of voluntary and statutory organisations. He currently chairs the Haringey Advisory Group on Alcohol and is a trustee of the UK Drug Policy Commission. He is also Chair of the Judges for the prestigious annual Mental Health Media Awards
17 May 2013 04:29 PM
Parliamentarians are as oblivious to the health risks of drinking alcohol as the general public and we have to ask what effect this is having on the nation's health
11 January 1999 12:02 AM
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'