Gillian Orr writes about the arts for The Independent.
08 November 2013 07:00 PM
'Toko Yasuda has the voice of a beautiful ghost'
06 November 2013 08:30 PM
If you’re fed up with movies getting longer, this book is just the ticket, says Gillian Orr. But can you recognise your favourite in our gallery?
01 November 2013 05:00 PM
A new book aims to unpick the troubled life and mysterious death of the songwriter Elliott Smith
28 October 2013 07:08 PM
From allergies to diabetes, the modern diseases that plague us were unknown to our hunter-gatherer forebears. So what can we learn from them?
25 October 2013 07:00 PM
'The prettiest basslines come from James Jamerson'
24 October 2013 05:07 PM
If it can be wedged between two slices of bread, then Helen Graves has tried it. The snack obsessive has made it her mission to find the world’s weirdest and most wonderful. Gillian Orr samples some of her favourites
18 October 2013 07:00 PM
'Jaki Liebezeit has a motorik style but he's funky too'
Portfolio: Martin Kollar's images of Israel capture 'one of the most contentious geographical zones of modern history'
13 October 2013 12:00 AM
When Martin Kollar was invited, along with various award-winning photographers, to spend several months in Israel to capture "one of the most contentious geographical zones of modern history", the 41-year-old found the country reminded him of growing up in Zilina, Czechoslovakia (now the Slovak Republic).
11 October 2013 07:00 PM
'Debbie Harry is kind of an idol of mine and a legend'
04 October 2013 07:00 PM
'I'd like Vanessa Paradis, circa 1988-90. I could listen to that voice sing anything'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations