One of the country’s most respected financial journalists and commentators Hamish McRae is an associate editor of The Independent. He was named Business and Finance Journalist of the Year 2006 at the British Press Awards.
15 January 2013 06:06 PM
Ahead of David Cameron's much-vaunted speech on Britain's relation with Europe, our Chief Economics Commentator surveys the Prime Minister's options
13 January 2013 12:00 AM
09 January 2013 11:38 PM
Economic View: Companies have been very successful at protecting themselves during the downturn, but is this sustainable?
08 January 2013 07:37 PM
There are several potential benefits to higher interest rates. Their rise might imply economies are on the move again, our Chief Economics Commentator says
23 December 2012 12:00 AM
19 December 2012 11:50 PM
Economic View: Monetary policy has started to be counterproductive as it has all sorts of negative effects
18 December 2012 06:13 PM
The world economy is still in the early stages of recovery
16 December 2012 12:00 AM
12 December 2012 11:14 PM
Economic View: The best hope for any increase in real wages will be for inflation to fall below 2 per cent - that is not out of the question
11 December 2012 06:34 PM
Our Chief Economics Commentator says that while many economists make wrong predictions, there is value in trying to identify future patterns. He has a go below
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t