Holly Williams is an arts and features writer for The Independent, The Independent Magazine and The Independent on Sunday.
01 June 2014 12:00 AM
Within the world of art history, one 1779 double portrait is a real rarity: here’s a pretty blonde girl in a pretty pink dress – so far, so familiar – but next to her is a spirited mixed-race girl, also dressed in finery, on an equal footing within the frame.
Hallelujah, Southwark! The London borough is home to the highest concentration of African-Christian churches outside the continent itself
25 May 2014 12:00 AM
Photographer Chloe Dewe Mathews has captured the transformation of her corner of the city, where an ever-increasing number of black-majority churches has sprung up in formerly industrial buildings, and gents in natty suits and women in elaborate headdresses walk to church through graffiti'd streets
23 May 2014 03:47 PM
Lesley Manville is on a career high, but wants to be invisible
16 May 2014 12:58 PM
11 May 2014 01:15 PM
What is it like to be the distant relation of Charles Dickens, Emmeline Pankhurst or John Constable?
10 May 2014 12:00 AM
08 May 2014 11:45 AM
04 May 2014 12:00 AM
02 May 2014 10:57 AM
Exceptional production is almost unwatchable
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
- 1 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 2 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 3 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 The jihadi girls who went to Syria weren't just radicalised by Isis — they were groomed