Ian Birrell is a former Deputy Editor of The Independent and co-founder of Africa Express
30 November 2014 10:48 PM
I found old voters, strong candidates and EU hostility in a safe Tory seat
16 November 2014 10:46 PM
Attempts to pacify the rabble win them over briefly before they return even more rabid
09 November 2014 06:51 PM
Either you define yourself quickly or others do it for you
02 November 2014 07:08 PM
So why does British aid continue to flood in?
19 October 2014 07:16 PM
The UK’s claim to be taking a lead in tackling the crisis does not bear scrutiny
05 October 2014 06:34 PM
Few ponder the potential implications of multi-party politics crashing against a creaking two-party system
03 October 2014 06:39 PM
View from Liberia
14 September 2014 03:59 PM
Ransoms? Raids? Media black-outs? What should the strategy be?
01 September 2014 09:42 AM
It is shameful cowardice to pretend this isn't an invasion. We must act.
29 August 2014 06:22 PM
Rwandan president is implicated in funding hit squad of four men convicted of trying to kill his exiled army chief in South Africa. Yet Western countries, including Britain, continue to pander to the murderous despot
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 1 Stolen Instagram photo sells for $90,000
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
- 4 'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity