Known for her human rights activism and writing on subjects such as atheism and feminism, Joan Smith is a columnist, critic and novelist. An Honorary Associate of the National Secular Society and a regular contributor to BBC radio, she has written five detective novels, two of which have been filmed by the BBC.
18 May 2014 12:00 AM
11 May 2014 12:00 AM
Nigerian kidnapped schoolgirls: The world's media have failed in their response to the kidnap of 200 girls
04 May 2014 12:00 AM
27 April 2014 12:00 AM
20 April 2014 12:01 AM
Maybe that sting in the warm waters off Lanzarote was God’s way of telling Cameron that religion and politics don’t mix
13 April 2014 12:00 AM
Women should be able to use public transport – and eat – without having to worry about weirdos with camera phones
06 April 2014 12:00 AM
29 March 2014 06:27 PM
The actor sums up a non-religious approach to the big questions of life in just three minutes
23 March 2014 12:00 AM
Insensitive reporting of the death of L'Wren Scott conforms to a pattern of media coverage of women who ‘get above themselves’
16 March 2014 12:00 AM
He was wrong about the UK's membership of the EU, with some of his speeches from the 1970s sounding like a precursor of today's Ukip rhetoric
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
- < Previous
- Next >