John Kampfner is Adviser to Google on freedom of expression and culture. He is an author, broadcaster and commentator, Chair of the board of Turner Contemporary, and former Chief Executive of Index on Censorship and Editor the New Statesman
12 March 2012 12:00 AM
06 February 2012 12:00 AM
Russia has benefited hugely from trade deals with Syria. It is its main weapons supplier
20 January 2012 12:00 AM
When it came to the bonus culture and tax loopholes, it took years for politicians to catch up with popular discontent
06 January 2012 12:00 AM
29 December 2011 12:00 AM
This historic economic shift has huge implications for our sense of identity and our role in the world
23 December 2011 12:00 AM
10 December 2011 12:00 AM
05 December 2011 12:00 AM
After decades of being lectured to by the West, the BRIC countries are enjoying their moment
28 November 2011 12:00 AM
The Coalition may have cracked down harder on the wealthy's pay rises and tax dodges than its predecessor, but that is not saying much
27 September 2011 12:00 AM
Minsk is as close to Berlin as London is. Yet, an iron curtain separates the two capitals. In 2011, over a decade after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the nation of Belarus holds out as the last dictatorship in Europe.
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar