John Kampfner is Adviser to Google on freedom of expression and culture. He is an author, broadcaster and commentator, Chair of the board of Turner Contemporary, and former Chief Executive of Index on Censorship and Editor the New Statesman
12 March 2012 12:00 AM
06 February 2012 12:00 AM
Russia has benefited hugely from trade deals with Syria. It is its main weapons supplier
20 January 2012 12:00 AM
When it came to the bonus culture and tax loopholes, it took years for politicians to catch up with popular discontent
06 January 2012 12:00 AM
29 December 2011 12:00 AM
This historic economic shift has huge implications for our sense of identity and our role in the world
23 December 2011 12:00 AM
10 December 2011 12:00 AM
05 December 2011 12:00 AM
After decades of being lectured to by the West, the BRIC countries are enjoying their moment
28 November 2011 12:00 AM
The Coalition may have cracked down harder on the wealthy's pay rises and tax dodges than its predecessor, but that is not saying much
27 September 2011 12:00 AM
Minsk is as close to Berlin as London is. Yet, an iron curtain separates the two capitals. In 2011, over a decade after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the nation of Belarus holds out as the last dictatorship in Europe.
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party