John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
24 May 2015 12:00 AM
'The belief in the possibility of a short, decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions.'
23 May 2015 11:26 PM
Labour members will look for the candidate most likely to beat the Tories
22 May 2015 07:56 AM
Labour Party members will choose the candidate who scares the Conservatives most
21 May 2015 08:08 AM
Plus the Human Rights Act, Ed’s tombstone and alcohol consumption
20 May 2015 09:15 AM
Plus further election-result pedantry and another outstanding genuine shop name
19 May 2015 08:16 AM
Plus: How will the opinion polls change, and is Labour over-thinking its post-election analysis?
18 May 2015 11:19 AM
17 May 2015 12:00 AM
This was started by Tim Mickleburgh, who remembered No 1 and reminded me of No 2, one of my favourite pop curios. There's a website that has collected 5,009 examples, many of which are one-word titles, so the premium here was on longer, more specific entries.
16 May 2015 10:58 PM
This election left voters feeling jaded with the conduct of British politics, but it doesn't have to be this way
16 May 2015 09:00 PM
David Cameron did not call the SNP's bluff, hoping that its leader will overplay her hand
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises