John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
27 May 2015 09:36 AM
Plus a timely QTWTAIN and some updates from the Moose
26 May 2015 09:26 AM
Plus the EU referendum campaign, short wars, the Queen’s Speech and an unspeakable supermarket shelf
24 May 2015 12:00 AM
'The belief in the possibility of a short, decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions.'
23 May 2015 11:26 PM
Labour members will look for the candidate most likely to beat the Tories
22 May 2015 07:56 AM
Labour Party members will choose the candidate who scares the Conservatives most
21 May 2015 08:08 AM
Plus the Human Rights Act, Ed’s tombstone and alcohol consumption
20 May 2015 09:15 AM
Plus further election-result pedantry and another outstanding genuine shop name
19 May 2015 08:16 AM
Plus: How will the opinion polls change, and is Labour over-thinking its post-election analysis?
18 May 2015 11:19 AM
17 May 2015 12:00 AM
This was started by Tim Mickleburgh, who remembered No 1 and reminded me of No 2, one of my favourite pop curios. There's a website that has collected 5,009 examples, many of which are one-word titles, so the premium here was on longer, more specific entries.
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
- 3 Ricky Gervais jokes about 'battering Danish DJ to death with a bicycle pump' after rabbit killed
- 4 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
- 5 England 'favourites' to host 2018 World Cup following Fifa arrests