Jonathan Fenby is the author of Tiger Head, Snake Tails: China Today. He blogs on China at www.trustedsources.co.uk/blog/china.
07 January 2015 12:28 PM
A growing social gulf has become evident in recent years
29 May 2013 05:58 PM
Having a baby and bringing it up is an expensive business in a system where welfare provision is poor and materialism counts as much as Confucianism and Marxism
05 November 2012 06:24 PM
As Americans go to the poll today, China is going through its own transition, but by any impartial assessment, democracy remains a long way off
10 August 2012 12:00 AM
The trial yesterday of Gu Kailai was unique, even if the way the hearing was wrapped up in eight hours shows that proceedings – and one must assume the verdict – were pre-determined. For the wife of a prominent, if now defenestrated, Chinese leader to be put in the dock for causing somebody else's death is unprecedented in the last major state ruled by a Communist Party.
20 December 2011 12:00 AM
03 August 1999 12:02 AM
30 June 1998 12:02 AM
19 June 1998 12:02 AM
27 June 1997 12:02 AM
21 June 1997 12:02 AM
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'