Jonathan Fenby is the author of Tiger Head, Snake Tails: China Today. He blogs on China at www.trustedsources.co.uk/blog/china.
29 May 2013 05:58 PM
Having a baby and bringing it up is an expensive business in a system where welfare provision is poor and materialism counts as much as Confucianism and Marxism
05 November 2012 06:24 PM
As Americans go to the poll today, China is going through its own transition, but by any impartial assessment, democracy remains a long way off
10 August 2012 12:00 AM
The trial yesterday of Gu Kailai was unique, even if the way the hearing was wrapped up in eight hours shows that proceedings – and one must assume the verdict – were pre-determined. For the wife of a prominent, if now defenestrated, Chinese leader to be put in the dock for causing somebody else's death is unprecedented in the last major state ruled by a Communist Party.
20 December 2011 12:00 AM
03 August 1999 12:02 AM
30 June 1998 12:02 AM
19 June 1998 12:02 AM
27 June 1997 12:02 AM
21 June 1997 12:02 AM
01 April 1997 12:02 AM
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'