Jonathan Fenby is the author of Tiger Head, Snake Tails: China Today. He blogs on China at www.trustedsources.co.uk/blog/china.
07 January 2015 12:28 PM
A growing social gulf has become evident in recent years
29 May 2013 05:58 PM
Having a baby and bringing it up is an expensive business in a system where welfare provision is poor and materialism counts as much as Confucianism and Marxism
05 November 2012 06:24 PM
As Americans go to the poll today, China is going through its own transition, but by any impartial assessment, democracy remains a long way off
10 August 2012 12:00 AM
The trial yesterday of Gu Kailai was unique, even if the way the hearing was wrapped up in eight hours shows that proceedings – and one must assume the verdict – were pre-determined. For the wife of a prominent, if now defenestrated, Chinese leader to be put in the dock for causing somebody else's death is unprecedented in the last major state ruled by a Communist Party.
20 December 2011 12:00 AM
03 August 1999 12:02 AM
30 June 1998 12:02 AM
19 June 1998 12:02 AM
27 June 1997 12:02 AM
21 June 1997 12:02 AM
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Refugees welcome: More than 250,000 sign Independent petition calling for Britain to 'take its fair share'
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan