Jonathan Fenby is the author of Tiger Head, Snake Tails: China Today. He blogs on China at www.trustedsources.co.uk/blog/china.
07 January 2015 12:28 PM
A growing social gulf has become evident in recent years
29 May 2013 05:58 PM
Having a baby and bringing it up is an expensive business in a system where welfare provision is poor and materialism counts as much as Confucianism and Marxism
05 November 2012 06:24 PM
As Americans go to the poll today, China is going through its own transition, but by any impartial assessment, democracy remains a long way off
10 August 2012 12:00 AM
The trial yesterday of Gu Kailai was unique, even if the way the hearing was wrapped up in eight hours shows that proceedings – and one must assume the verdict – were pre-determined. For the wife of a prominent, if now defenestrated, Chinese leader to be put in the dock for causing somebody else's death is unprecedented in the last major state ruled by a Communist Party.
20 December 2011 12:00 AM
03 August 1999 12:02 AM
30 June 1998 12:02 AM
19 June 1998 12:02 AM
27 June 1997 12:02 AM
21 June 1997 12:02 AM
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years