Jonathan Portes is director of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research and former chief economist at the Cabinet Office. His particular areas of interest include fiscal policy, labour markets and immigration.
If the social contract is to remain fair, the well-off elderly will need to make a bigger contribution
11 August 2013 01:35 PM
Most spending goes on old people, financed by the taxes of the middle-aged
For all the claims made about wealth taxes, it's not correct to say the rich are paying their fair share
02 October 2012 11:28 AM
To make arguments about the fairness, or otherwise, of the UK tax system purely on the basis of the burden of income tax is absurd. These pundits should know better
08 May 2012 11:26 AM
Two years ago, the coalition set out its programme for government. Today, the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister reaffirm their commitment to the central element of that programme – cutting the deficit quickly.
10 January 2012 12:23 AM
Just yesterday, MigrationWatch published a report highlighting the "remarkable coincidence between the rise in youth unemployment and the huge surge in immigration from Eastern Europe over the last eight years".
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27