Jonathan Portes is director of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research and former chief economist at the Cabinet Office. His particular areas of interest include fiscal policy, labour markets and immigration.
20 October 2014 12:13 AM
Areas where Ukip is doing well are often places that suffered most during the recession
If the social contract is to remain fair, the well-off elderly will need to make a bigger contribution
11 August 2013 01:35 PM
Most spending goes on old people, financed by the taxes of the middle-aged
For all the claims made about wealth taxes, it's not correct to say the rich are paying their fair share
02 October 2012 11:28 AM
To make arguments about the fairness, or otherwise, of the UK tax system purely on the basis of the burden of income tax is absurd. These pundits should know better
08 May 2012 11:26 AM
Two years ago, the coalition set out its programme for government. Today, the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister reaffirm their commitment to the central element of that programme – cutting the deficit quickly.
10 January 2012 12:23 AM
Just yesterday, MigrationWatch published a report highlighting the "remarkable coincidence between the rise in youth unemployment and the huge surge in immigration from Eastern Europe over the last eight years".
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
- 1 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 2 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 3 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 4 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'