Jonathan Portes is director of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research and former chief economist at the Cabinet Office. His particular areas of interest include fiscal policy, labour markets and immigration.
20 October 2014 12:13 AM
Areas where Ukip is doing well are often places that suffered most during the recession
If the social contract is to remain fair, the well-off elderly will need to make a bigger contribution
11 August 2013 01:35 PM
Most spending goes on old people, financed by the taxes of the middle-aged
For all the claims made about wealth taxes, it's not correct to say the rich are paying their fair share
02 October 2012 11:28 AM
To make arguments about the fairness, or otherwise, of the UK tax system purely on the basis of the burden of income tax is absurd. These pundits should know better
08 May 2012 11:26 AM
Two years ago, the coalition set out its programme for government. Today, the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister reaffirm their commitment to the central element of that programme – cutting the deficit quickly.
10 January 2012 12:23 AM
Just yesterday, MigrationWatch published a report highlighting the "remarkable coincidence between the rise in youth unemployment and the huge surge in immigration from Eastern Europe over the last eight years".
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain