Justin Cartwright is a South African-raised novelist.
06 December 2013 12:29 AM
Not once in the long years on Robben Island did he bend to the will of his captors
This week's big questions: Should bankers benefit from Help to Buy? Do you feel spied upon by the Government?
11 October 2013 05:56 PM
This week's big questions are answered by the novelist Justin Cartwright
13 September 2013 07:00 PM
My choice is almost entirely self-serving. I have just looked, and see that I have 23 books by John Updike. In 2006, he suggested me to write the foreword (it ended up as an afterword) for the new Penguin edition of Rabbit at Rest. So in a sense I am trying to attach myself to the great man's memory by choosing it as my Book of a Lifetime.
22 February 2013 05:23 PM
The background to the Pistorius case is concerning, but it is no surprise: in South Africa only one in 50 hijackings lead to a conviction and most murders go unsolved
29 June 2012 08:00 PM
The cry that goes up in dealing rooms when a trade is bad is ‘OPM’ – other people’s money
21 December 2011 12:00 AM
Charles Dickens was driven by demons when he wrote his much-loved yuletide tales. Award-winning author Justin Cartwright feels the pain
06 February 2005 12:02 AM
Books: Driving out spirits - African Ceremonies by Carol Beckwith and Angela Fisher Abrams pounds 95, 2 vols;
28 November 1999 12:02 AM
04 July 1999 12:02 AM
17 January 1999 12:02 AM
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'