Michael Bywater is a writer and broadcaster. He was a long-running columnist for the Independent on Sunday and his books include Lost Worlds (2004) and Big Babies (2006).
19 April 2013 06:02 PM
If you can’t weep at a funeral, even a funeral of such pomp and vainglory as this one, when can you weep? Yet Osborne's tears for Thatcher continue to bemuse us
01 March 2013 07:12 PM
Rats have demonstrated the first signs of telepathy
24 February 2013 07:50 PM
Michael Bywater pays tribute to Ray Cusick, who died last week, and his invention of a quintessentially British baddie
Michael Bywater: The Etch a Sketch was infinitely worse at something all of us can do, but millions were sold
04 February 2013 12:00 AM
The beastly thing had a strange, clairvoyant significance
12 January 2013 12:00 AM
In Cambodia, 'orphanage tourism' has become the norm. Michael Bywater reports on his personal connection to a new approach which favours reuniting children with their families over foreign adoptions.
11 January 2013 07:07 PM
Now the chains are falling, one by one, we uneasily mourn them, like an unappealing aunt we never visited nor cared about while she lived.
27 July 2012 08:00 PM
Every athlete wants to beat the record, but in our own lives that ideal is a fallacy, not the solution
07 July 2012 12:00 AM
This masterly work of fiction illuminates the music, and magic, of the bagpipes
06 July 2012 08:00 PM
The problem is that science is hard. It’s not like the humanities where anyone can have a go
23 June 2012 12:00 AM
Slobber bar, rip entry, fartlek, whipping area... just some of the weird and wonderful jargon you'll hear commentators using during the Games. Michael Bywater translates the terminology.
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations