Italy Correspondent for The Independent
23 November 2013 12:00 AM
20 November 2013 05:08 PM
He has won over the world’s media and the man on the street – but certainly not all Catholics
15 November 2013 12:00 AM
Venice’s canals looked exquisite in this morning’s autumn sunshine. But most tourists weren’t able to enjoy them – thanks to a boat and water taxi strike that put paid to any hopes of wafting down the Grand Canal.
13 November 2013 05:24 PM
Crackdown on financial corruption in Vatican has angered brutal crime syndicate, says Nicola Gratteri
Mafialeaks: The anonymous whistle-blowing site inspired by Wikileaks which aims to shatter mob code of silence
12 November 2013 05:38 PM
Activist claims to have already received and passed on important evidence to investigators and journalists
Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day: Mayor faces long and costly fight to make its ancient treasures traffic-free – so he's looking for sponsors
10 November 2013 12:00 AM
Ignazio Marino's plans dwarf those for the pedestrianisation of Trafalgar Square in London
09 November 2013 12:00 AM
The awfulness of Rome’s public transport is proverbial. Fatalistic locals just raise their eyebrows and curse transport managers and elected officials.
07 November 2013 04:33 PM
Roberto Calderoli fails to shrug off storm over 'orangutan' comment directed at Congolese-born integration minister
07 November 2013 12:00 AM
A senior church figure in southern Italy has added another transgression to the list of sinful activities: environmental destruction.
04 November 2013 09:46 PM
EU investigators claim there is evidence that taxpayers’ money earmarked for the reconstruction of earthquake-devasted L’Aquila ended up in the hands of mobsters.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail