Paul Vallely is visiting professor in Public Ethics at the University of Chester and a senior research fellow at the Brooks World Poverty Institute at the University of Manchester. He writes on ethical, political and cultural issues. He has a fortnightly column in the Independent on Sunday and also writes for the New York Times and the Church Times. His latest book is Pope Francis – Untying the Knots. He was co-author of the report of the Commission for Africa and has chaired several development charities.
15 January 2015 12:00 AM
This stripped-down Othello hurls Shakespeare's play into our times
28 December 2014 12:00 AM
15 December 2014 07:49 AM
The more singles Band Aid 30 sells, the more seriously our political masters will fight Ebola. So buy the record
07 December 2014 12:00 AM
23 November 2014 12:00 AM
06 November 2014 04:06 PM
Something deep in Tennessee Williams' play still touches us today
02 November 2014 12:00 AM
05 October 2014 12:00 AM
22 September 2014 12:12 PM
The setting in Manchester's disused Victoria Baths is both the source of the production’s triumph and its flaws
21 September 2014 05:41 PM
The ruthless modern weaponry of powerful nations is pitted against the terrorist tactics of grassroots factions
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'