Peter is a foreign correspondent and feature writer with The Independent who has done long stretches in Japan, India and Italy.
17 July 2014 05:56 PM
He has bitten off more than he can chew
10 July 2014 06:51 PM
Lord Patten has joined a multinational mission to modernise the Vatican’s media operation, and it won't be easy
19 June 2014 07:05 PM
The recent riots in Aluthgama are the last thing the country needs
17 June 2014 12:00 AM
Twenty-some years ago, the Tamil Tigers drove the Sri Lankan army out of Jaffna Fort, in the far north, and set about destroying it. Part of their demolition work is still visible: huge masonry chunks from an imposing church lie piled on top of each other where the building was torn down. The Dutch had erected it inside the fort back in the 18th century.
Secret state: Trevor Paglen documents the hidden world of governmental surveillance, from drone bases to "black sites"
15 June 2014 12:00 AM
12 June 2014 06:24 PM
Csanad Szegedi was the rising star in an extremist Hungarian party. And then the truth about his heritage came out
06 June 2014 06:47 PM
The favourite to become the EC’s new President is a Eurosceptic’s nightmare
A Taliban victory wouldn't be an unmitigated disaster for Afghanistan - unless the West failed to support it
05 June 2014 06:36 PM
They were brutal and reductive, but they brought the country closer to peace than at any time before or since
01 June 2014 12:00 AM
The countries of South-East Asia have learned the hard way the risks of living in the neighbourhood of a nation bent on asserting itself on the world’s stage.
29 May 2014 07:19 PM
The ghastly fact is that this murder was nothing out of the ordinary
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe in bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Hitler’s food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair