Philip Hoare is a writer and cultural historian.
30 September 2014 02:31 PM
Perhaps we could start by getting rid of the idea of a cycling ‘community’
19 February 2014 12:00 AM
On the 20th anniversary of Derek Jarman's death, his friend Philip Hoare reflects on his legacy
09 January 2014 12:00 AM
Yes, council estates and drain covers can be beautiful too, argues Philip Hoare as a new exhibition in Southampton demonstrates
03 October 2013 05:13 PM
Without drastic action, the damage will be catastrophic
21 August 2013 08:00 PM
A full programme of Britten's works at the Proms culminates in a semi-staged performance of Michael Grandage's acclaimed Glyndebourne production of the story of an outsider fighting the establishment
14 August 2013 07:30 PM
Festivals are nothing new, despite their contemporary popularity. From the extraordinary eruptions of outdoor religious revival gatherings to vegetarian, teetotal, anti-vaccinationist rallies, Philip Hoare charts their history
13 August 2013 03:07 PM
So often it is absence rather than presence provides the poignancy
10 August 2013 12:00 AM
'I was about to be admitted to a place out of my dreams and nightmares'
28 July 2013 01:17 PM
As National Maritime Week opens we need to adjust our approach to these creatures
24 July 2013 08:30 PM
From evolutionary theory to art and literature, water has shaped human development as this remarkable exhibition reveals.
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats