Philip Hoare’s latest book, ‘The Sea Inside’, is published by Fourth Estate
03 November 2013 07:28 PM
Like birds summoned south, our senses are attuned to the failing light
05 January 1995 12:02 AM
Leigh Bowery was a perverse comic-book clown to a post-punk generation careering through the myriad fashion metamorphoses of the 1980s. From the melted wax dripping down his bald pate and the lurex dress stretched tight across his enormous belly, to the teetering platforms (worn way before Naomi Campbell tottered down the catwalk), Bowery created himself - in execrable but glorious bad taste - as an antipodean arriviste of no apparent cultural significance.
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson criticised for beer tweet
- 5 The bubble bursts for Sodastream
Day In a Page