Rhodri Marsden is the Technology Columnist for The Independent; he has also written about crumpets, Captain Beefheart, rude place names and string. He's also a musician who plays in the band Scritti Politti, and won the under-10 piano category at the 1980 Watford Music Festival by playing a piece called "Silver Trumpets" with verve and aplomb.
30 September 2014 07:53 PM
Statues, a giant cockerel, windmills … the UK's traffic islands have everything, according to the Roundabout Appreciation Society. The what? asks Rhodri Marsden
30 September 2014 07:41 PM
Overwhelmed by modern life? Then try drawing up a list. 1) It will make you feel in control; 2) It's good for the brain; and 3) It will put you in league with historical figures from the Ancient Egyptians to Pablo Picasso, says Rhodri Marsden
27 September 2014 12:00 AM
20 September 2014 12:00 AM
The device was granted a patent 135 years ago this week and offered a 30 decibel boost to ambient noises
18 September 2014 08:20 PM
18 September 2014 12:00 AM
The apps that people write about and read about seem to revel in their own preposterousness -valuing flamboyance over utility
13 September 2014 12:00 AM
* "He who rests at Rome (48) for kissing ye Pope's Toe shall be banished for his folly to the cold island of Iceland (4) and miss three turns." This was the kind of excitement that awaited players of A Journey Through Europe, a game launched 255 years ago and acknowledged to be the first British board game. Eight shillings got you a cloth-backed map and a set of instructions (or 'Explanation') that promised an educational spin around the Continent.
10 September 2014 11:00 PM
Other gadgets that don't announce their presence so obviously will continue to do the actual surveillance, argues Rhodri Marsden
Countdown: What's the winning formula that makes this the longest-running game show in television history?
09 September 2014 12:00 AM
06 September 2014 12:00 AM
* Forty-two years ago this week, the Radio Times alerted us to the first screening of a "new and exciting brain game" called Mastermind.
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
Former Tory donor Arron Banks ups his Ukip donation to £1million following William Hague 'nobody' comment
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 Brad Pitt, on the moment he completely lost his temper with Clint Eastwood's son
- < Previous
- Next >