Richard Garner is The Independent's Education Editor.
No such thing as a free school lunch? Government ‘reckless’ in failing to provide adequate school funds
19 August 2014 12:00 AM
Botched rollout of scheme revealed as teachers slam impact of flagship Lib Dem policy
18 August 2014 07:39 PM
Schools should be freed from the “top-down, target-driven, exam-obsessed” culture that is dominating our education system, Tristram Hunt urged today.
18 August 2014 05:52 PM
Latin has made a remarkable comeback in state secondary school classrooms, according to figures released today.
18 August 2014 04:48 PM
If you want to find out how well a child will do in their GCSE exams, forget the quality of their teachers and look instead at how confident their mother was during pregnancy.
17 August 2014 07:19 PM
Shadow minister says focus on free schools has been at cost of overcrowding elsewhere
17 August 2014 12:00 AM
14 August 2014 05:06 PM
A drop in top grade passes at A-level this year may have been triggered by a growth in the number of candidates taking traditional academic subjects, exam boards have suggested.
14 August 2014 03:46 PM
If Michael Gove had been around today as Education Secretary he would have been chuffed by this year’s results.
14 August 2014 09:31 AM
Exam chiefs suggest that the drop in the top grade pass rate could be down to students switching to more traditional academic subjects
14 August 2014 12:04 AM
Many of the UK’s most prestigious universities will be wooing students today with places that they have reserved for those who do better than expected in their A-levels.
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations