Richard Garner has been Education Editor of The Independent for 12 years and writing about the subject for 34 years. Before becoming a journalist, he worked as a disc jockey in London pubs and clubs and for a hospital radio station. His main hobbies are cricket (watching these days) and theatre. On his days off, he is most likelt to be found at Lord’s or the King’s Head Theatre Club.
01 December 2014 12:00 AM
Reading online has improved children’s vocabulary, according to research
30 November 2014 12:00 AM
28 November 2014 12:00 AM
Millennium Cohort Study offers the first real glimpse into what life is like for an 11-year-old living in modern Britain
27 November 2014 12:00 AM
An interesting perspective on those Ofsted reports claiming that independent Muslim schools in Tower Hamlets were failing to safeguard their pupils and rendering them prey to extremist views and radicalisation.
26 November 2014 10:40 PM
26 November 2014 03:53 PM
Child psychologist Professor Tanya Byron hits out
26 November 2014 12:00 AM
New survey suggests most heads expect class sizes to rise
25 November 2014 06:41 PM
Shadow Education Secretary told to back off after his warning to private sector
24 November 2014 03:39 PM
16 teachers were banned after complaints about their use of social media
23 November 2014 12:00 AM
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C