Dr Rowan Williams is an Anglican bishop, poet and theologian. He was formerly the Archbishop of Canterbury
15 May 2014 03:17 PM
Over a billion people around the world live below the poverty line
Dr Rowan Williams: As the first Syrian refugees arrive in the UK, we must now promise our support for more humanitarian action
25 March 2014 01:10 PM
This is an opportunity to register more clearly the scale of the ongoing disaster
24 December 1999 12:02 AM
27 December 1997 12:02 AM
28 March 1997 12:02 AM
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 1 Refugee crisis: Sweden the only European country with a majority favourable towards non-EU immigration
- 2 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 3 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 4 Malnourished two-year-old found being breastfed by dog in Chile
- 5 Bryan Cranston speaks candidly about wealth