Sam Jordison is the author of Sod That: 103 Things Not to Do Before You Die and co-editor of Crap Town
Classic re-issues: From Cider with Rosie to Shakespeare's Montaigne - fresh outings for the gifts that keep on giving
26 June 2014 04:00 PM
It isn't just new books that can spring surprises. The Cyberiad (Penguin, £9.99), a collection of stories from Stanislaw Lem first published in Polish in 1965, knocked me sideways. I only really knew about Lem because of Solaris, the masterful (and determinedly laugh-free) film by the great Andrei Tarkovsky, and the rather ponderous translation of the source novel that found its way to the UK in the 1970s.
20 November 2013 06:03 PM
The city has even, I was told, got rid of its notorious pong
09 June 2012 12:00 AM
Sam Jordison first identified Britain's ‘Crap Towns’ 10 years ago. Could time improve them? He revisits previously dull and decrepit Morecambe to find out.
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Nigerian witch-finder Helen Ukpabio threatens legal action against human rights organisations