Shami Chakrabarti is the Chancellor of Oxford Brookes University and director of Liberty.
12 March 2014 08:53 PM
The horrific treatment of Winterbourne View residents brought the vulnerability of those in care into sharp focus. One instance of abuse at a care home or hospital is shocking but it wasn’t a lone exception and the recent spate of revelations is a scandal.
30 November 2012 06:53 PM
Freedom of the press is fundamental to our democracy
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
G20 summit: David Cameron warns Vladimir Putin that Russia's relationship with the West is at a 'fork in the road' over Ukraine
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 Lee Evans announces his retirement from comedy on The Jonathan Ross Show
- 3 Iggy Azalea responds to Eminem rape lyrics: 'I'm bored of old men threatening young women'
- 4 These grandmas smoking weed for the first time are wonderful
- 5 Pastafarian former porn star Asia Lemmon allowed to wear colander in driving licence photo