Simon Calder’s career in travel started at Gatwick Airport, where he cleaned aircraft for Laker Airways and later worked as a security officer. He became The Independent’s Travel Correspondent in 1994, and is known as “the Man Who Pays His Way” because he does not accept free travel facilities. He writes across the Independent titles, as well as for the Evening Standard.
07 October 2014 05:15 PM
Party leadership now mandated to oppose any new runways
07 October 2014 04:35 PM
Share prices fall as tensions rise, and travellers to Madrid and Marrakech have contacted the travel desk of The Independent with fears
06 October 2014 04:08 PM
Virgin's domestic flight network has faced problems from the outset
03 October 2014 01:48 PM
Should Air Passenger Duty only apply out of London airports?
03 October 2014 09:47 AM
The man who pays his way
03 October 2014 09:23 AM
There are plenty of affordable places to explore if you want to jet away from the cold. From cruises and birdwatching to Caribbean beaches, Simon Calder looks at the options
01 October 2014 12:00 AM
28 September 2014 12:00 AM
27 September 2014 12:00 AM
26 September 2014 06:00 PM
Air Berlin cancels $5bn order for 15 787s
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Black Friday 2014: Opening hours for John Lewis, Asda, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'