The Independent's parliamentary sketch writer and columnist since 2000, Simon Carr was described by Tony Blair as "the most vicious sketch writer working in Britain today". "Poison," said Charles Clarke. In the 1980s he helped launch The Independent, and was a speech writer for the prime minister of New Zealand from 1992 to 1994. His working principle is "Indignation keeps us young."
20 March 2012 12:00 AM
Cameron promised environmentally sensitive planning mixed with a bit of 'Victorian swagger'
16 March 2012 12:00 AM
Cute exchange between an easy, patrician Chuka Umunna and the questing turtle that the Business Secretary has become. It's old and new. Youth and age. Nouvelle Labour and Zimmer Socialism.
15 March 2012 12:00 AM
PMQs – now with 20 per cent extra. It started on time and the Speaker eventually called off the half-hour at 12.37. Every time Nick Clegg thought he'd done the course, another name was called: the finish line receding with every step he took.
14 March 2012 12:00 AM
It's a constitutional outrage, a violence against the people, a forerunner of the apocalypse, oh let us discard party politics, let us forget our low tribal allegiances and rise together into the life-enhancing ozone of the national interest and please, please (some sobbing in the public gallery) abandon the Bill.
13 March 2012 12:00 AM
09 March 2012 12:00 AM
08 March 2012 12:00 AM
07 March 2012 12:00 AM
06 March 2012 12:00 AM
03 March 2012 12:00 AM
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'