Sophie Lam is Head of Travel at The Independent. She joined the travel desk in 2004, after spending several months in Central America and when not in the office is happiest on the beach.
Chic new hotels in 2015: From Britain's first football-themed property to a Facebook millionaire's debut desert resort
26 December 2014 12:01 AM
You won't be short of new and unusual options next year, says Sophie Lam
09 December 2014 10:42 AM
A tucked-away guesthouse, near India's most famous hotel, hints at Mumbai's youthful, creative outlook, says Sophie Lam
28 November 2014 10:06 AM
A pioneering safari camp in Rajasthan focuses on a thriving local leopard population. A key to the cats' vitality could be the absence of fences.
18 November 2014 04:57 PM
Read the small print when buying travel insurance for your annual ski holidays
10 November 2014 11:43 AM
To the manor born, if only for the weekend
06 November 2014 11:40 AM
Architectural charity announces ambitious plans for 2015
02 November 2014 12:00 AM
29 October 2014 11:54 AM
From maps to languages - and taking amazing pictures along the way - Google wants to take over the world of exploration
06 October 2014 11:39 AM
Something to declare
20 September 2014 12:00 AM
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 3 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
- 5 Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014