Sophie Lam is Head of Travel at The Independent. She joined the travel desk in 2004, after spending several months in Central America and when not in the office is happiest on the beach.
20 September 2014 12:00 AM
03 September 2014 03:25 PM
The former tourist resort of Villa Epecuén was swallowed by salt water when the neighbouring lake burst its banks. A quarter of a century later, the waters started to recede, revealing the remains of this once thriving town
15 July 2014 04:49 PM
With outdoor exhibitions, new galleries and events for all ages, enjoy a summer of culture
08 July 2014 04:21 PM
Avoid those embarrassing jaunts and make it a trip to remember
22 June 2014 12:00 AM
17 June 2014 05:30 PM
With the solstice on the horizon, Sophie Lam salutes the long days with holidays at home and abroad
13 June 2014 11:17 AM
A revamp that falls in the final furlong
26 May 2014 08:28 AM
A new luxury hotel is putting the Jabal Akhdar range's dramatic gardens and gorges - once sealed off as part of a military base - on the tourist map
10 May 2014 12:00 AM
28 April 2014 11:36 AM
Caring for creatures, great and small, in woodland Cumbria
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders