Sophie Lam is Head of Travel at The Independent. She joined the travel desk in 2004, after spending several months in Central America and when not in the office is happiest on the beach.
13 April 2015 10:51 AM
Berdoulat & Breakfast offers guests a behind-the-scenes experience of its magnificent architecture, says Sophie Lam
20 March 2015 10:48 AM
'Returning to Shanghai, it was just a different world'
09 March 2015 11:04 AM
The organisation has taken to handing out titles at a puzzling rate
23 January 2015 10:02 AM
This 19th-century maharaja's hunting lodge is marked out by two striking buildings that gleam like white marble temples astride a serene lake
Chic new hotels in 2015: From Britain's first football-themed property to a Facebook millionaire's debut desert resort
26 December 2014 12:01 AM
You won't be short of new and unusual options next year, says Sophie Lam
09 December 2014 10:42 AM
A tucked-away guesthouse, near India's most famous hotel, hints at Mumbai's youthful, creative outlook, says Sophie Lam
28 November 2014 10:06 AM
A pioneering safari camp in Rajasthan focuses on a thriving local leopard population. A key to the cats' vitality could be the absence of fences.
18 November 2014 04:57 PM
Read the small print when buying travel insurance for your annual ski holidays
10 November 2014 11:43 AM
To the manor born, if only for the weekend
06 November 2014 11:40 AM
Architectural charity announces ambitious plans for 2015
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bookies now say Ed Miliband is more likely to be prime minister than David Cameron
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'