Stella Creasy is Labour and Co-operative MP for Walthamstow. She is also Shadow Home Affairs Minister for Crime Prevention. Her website is www.workingforwalthamstow.org.uk
30 June 2013 12:00 AM
It's time to end the myth that there are a few bad apples and recognise that the way the entire industry works is causing problems for millions of British consumers. Legal loan sharks have been able to rack up huge profits on the back of consumers struggling with the rising cost of living and a regulator without teeth, with five years of talk resulting in no action.
08 November 2012 12:00 AM
Legal loan sharks take advantage of those who need money most - a cap is desperately needed before debt for some people is out of their control.
01 November 2011 12:00 AM
This industry benefits from a lack of legislation, which means that companies can charge eye-popping APRs of 4,500 per cent or more
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Bollywood actress Veena Malik sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy after appearing in mock TV wedding scene
- 1 'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
- 2 Ridley Scott on Exodus, Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school