Established as one of the most influential political commentators in the country, Steve Richards became The Independent’s chief political commentator in 2000 having been political editor of the New Statesman. He presents GMTV's flagship current affairs show The Sunday Programme and Radio 4’s Week in Westminster.
It’s taken politicians long enough to realise the scale of the housing problem. Now, we must act quickly
16 December 2013 07:02 PM
Miliband has pledged to build 200,000 new homes a year by the end of the next parliament
09 December 2013 06:34 PM
I can understand some of the disillusionment, but too much of it is baseless
05 December 2013 06:43 PM
The Labour leadership needs to add detail to its alternative journey
02 December 2013 05:34 PM
The rise of the Chancellor as such an overwhelmingly dominant figure is new
25 November 2013 06:55 PM
For now, Osborne still has a foot in the old era of state inactivity
18 November 2013 07:16 PM
John Major’s solution to the problem of social mobility– a grammar school in every town – made matters worse
Will politicians never learn? The Government’s Help to Buy scheme is sub-prime mortgages all over again
11 November 2013 07:19 PM
Cameron and George Osborne have convinced voters the global meltdown is the fault of Ed Balls
04 November 2013 06:43 PM
Whenever Miliband follows his convictions he becomes stronger, not weaker
28 October 2013 06:03 PM
There is in theory a political consensus around this project. Treasure it
23 October 2013 07:36 PM
The former PM’s ideas offend the ideological souls who currently lead the party
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences, as judge labels him a 'dangerous sexual predator'
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber announces he's 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile