Susan Elkin is an education journalist, author and former secondary teacher of English. Her book Unlocking the Reader in Every Child is published by Ransom. She is Education and Training Editor at The Stage.
23 March 2013 08:00 PM
19 March 2013 04:24 PM
We should lead children to appreciate the finest in literature, music and all the arts
11 March 2013 01:44 PM
If I had my way, every secondary school pupil would be taken on both intensive farming and abattoir visits so that they really know at first hand what goes on
04 March 2013 03:18 PM
Something in the way children are now brought up and educated seems to stop them from wanting to grow up – or even having the freedom to
08 February 2013 11:53 AM
Far too many students have a weak grasp of spelling and punctuation - the English Baccalaureate could have been a way of rectifying some of these problems
Public health minister is right - deprived families are more likely to be obese and we have to intervene
23 January 2013 03:31 PM
If young people aren't educated about healthy eating, they'll grow up following their parents' bad habits
20 January 2013 12:00 AM
As the 200th anniversary of 'Pride and Prejudice' is celebrated, a new biography reveals there was nothing pious or prim about Jane Austen
15 January 2013 12:08 PM
The benefits of children walking to school unaccompanied are so blindingly obvious, it's hard to understand why anyone does the school run anymore
IoS book review: An English Affair: Sex, Class and Power in the Age of Profumo, By Richard Davenport-Hines
06 January 2013 12:00 AM
Sex, lies, and the making of a scandal
03 January 2013 05:46 PM
Would it really affect anyone else in school if a child wears a hijab matching the uniform?
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights