Susan Elkin is an education journalist, author and former secondary teacher of English. Her book Unlocking the Reader in Every Child is published by Ransom. She is Education and Training Editor at The Stage.
22 July 2012 12:00 AM
This summer's best young-adult fiction makes few concessions, says Susan Elkin
20 July 2012 11:45 AM
Anyone who tells children that God – literally – created the world in seven days 6,000 years ago is guilty of perverting education.
18 June 2012 03:34 PM
What is it about the British and school uniform? Forcing children into corporate dress has, in my not inconsiderable experience, absolutely nothing to do with discipline, contrary to popular belief.
29 May 2012 03:36 PM
GCSEs are pointless. I told my head of department that 10 years ago and nothing has happened since to change my mind.
24 April 2012 01:09 PM
"Younger children are interested in the great questions of life – they’re all philosophers until inhibition sets in at puberty – and that’s what myths, with their primordial themes, tend to be about."
01 April 2012 12:00 AM
Susan Elkin reviews the best children's and young-adult fiction to help keep your darlings entertained over the spring holidays
04 March 2012 12:00 AM
The greatest of his generation
22 January 2012 12:00 AM
Susan Elkin selects the best of the new books being published to celebrate Dickens's bicentennial year
04 December 2011 12:00 AM
06 November 1999 12:02 AM
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia