Susan Elkin is an education journalist, author and former secondary teacher of English. Her book Unlocking the Reader in Every Child is published by Ransom. She is Education and Training Editor at The Stage.
29 May 2012 03:36 PM
GCSEs are pointless. I told my head of department that 10 years ago and nothing has happened since to change my mind.
24 April 2012 01:09 PM
"Younger children are interested in the great questions of life – they’re all philosophers until inhibition sets in at puberty – and that’s what myths, with their primordial themes, tend to be about."
01 April 2012 12:00 AM
Susan Elkin reviews the best children's and young-adult fiction to help keep your darlings entertained over the spring holidays
04 March 2012 12:00 AM
The greatest of his generation
22 January 2012 12:00 AM
Susan Elkin selects the best of the new books being published to celebrate Dickens's bicentennial year
04 December 2011 12:00 AM
06 November 1999 12:02 AM
10 July 1999 12:02 AM
12 September 1998 12:02 AM
20 June 1998 12:02 AM
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Lynda Bellingham dead: Loose Women presenter dies after battle with colon cancer