Virginia Ironside is an agony aunt, columnist and author. She writes the weekly Dilemmas column for The Independent.
Depression Awareness Week: 'My life feels bleak, but should I dig up a painful past with counselling?'
20 April 2015 05:54 PM
"While some memories are successfully buried so deep that they can never rise to the surface, others demand attention"
13 April 2015 05:33 PM
'This tedious boasting is almost certainly the result of deep insecurity'
16 March 2015 07:00 PM
"You may realise that it wouldn’t be too bad after all"
03 February 2015 10:48 AM
"Dissatisfaction is her natural setting. It’s her comfort zone, and where she feels safest."
Assisted Dying Bill: I want to be able to decide about my own death - I want to have control of my life
29 January 2015 12:00 AM
19 January 2015 05:46 PM
"Trying to stop drinking isn’t good enough. You have, simply, got to stop. End of, as they say."
12 January 2015 06:04 PM
"You remind me of the story of Greyfriars Bobby, the dog whose memorial in Edinburgh immortalises the end of his life, as he waited on his owner’s grave until he died himself"
15 December 2014 06:05 PM
"You can’t force him to want to live, to find sources of energy to make him welcome chemotherapy"
10 November 2014 06:30 PM
"It could be that she feels, at some subconscious level, that she’s performing an important role in the play of her son’s life"
03 November 2014 06:13 PM
"To get back on friendly terms after being so badly treated doesn’t reflect well on how you think about yourself"
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'