Virginia Ironside is an agony aunt, columnist and author. She writes the weekly Dilemmas column for The Independent.
Virginia Ironside's dilemmas: Am I wrong for telling my goddaughter about her mother's first marriage?
30 June 2014 06:41 PM
"Those pictures were taken in order for them to be seen by all her friends"
23 June 2014 06:37 PM
"It has hardly anything to do with you whether the other person gets better or not."
16 June 2014 06:52 PM
"He is obviously a very damaged, sad little man, and anyone who has a close relationship with his wife seems to him to be incredibly threatening."
02 June 2014 06:26 PM
"You’re the one who matters in all of this, so don’t even think twice about it"
26 May 2014 03:50 PM
"I suspect that if you went back to drinking “moderately”, before you knew it you’d be back on the two bottles a night"
19 May 2014 05:54 PM
12 May 2014 06:29 PM
"I wouldn’t let her know how angry you are – expressions of emotion give away your vulnerability – be icy cool instead"
05 May 2014 06:18 PM
"I know that in an ideal world we should be able to dispense sympathy and kindness to everyone, but some people are more difficult to help than others"
21 April 2014 03:54 PM
"She has clearly got the wrong end of the stick about your financial arrangements, and doesn’t value the history of your friendship enough to explain herself"
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 New Tricks: Dennis Waterman to leave the show after a decade of crime-solving