Will Hawkes works on The Independent's Sports Desk. He writes about beer in his spare time.
09 January 2012 12:00 AM
05 January 2012 12:00 AM
Even in his most hangdog moments, Ricky Ponting does not inspire pity. The former Australia captain has been too good a player for that but only the fiercest of English cricket fans could have failed to have felt something for him these past two years. The diminutive Tasmanian's characteristic tenacity and courage were still there, but the dominance at the wicket that had taken him to the top of the Test game seemed a thing of the past.
21 December 2011 12:00 AM
Lancashire's title, Clarke's Open and Cavendish's jersey show that good things come (eventually) to those who wait
09 December 2011 06:47 PM
Taking on Guinness is the beer world’s equivalent of offering to mark Lionel Messi, or flicking Mike Tyson’s ears: it suggests a predilection for painful humiliation.
05 December 2011 12:00 AM
25 November 2011 10:50 AM
Britain’s “Special Relationship” with the US may exist largely in the minds of our politicians, but in the world of beer it’s as real as taxes.
18 November 2011 02:44 PM
Today’s Independent carries a profile of Garrett Oliver, but the limitations of print meant there was plenty of interesting stuff that got left out – so here it is...
18 November 2011 12:00 AM
Contrary to stereotypes, its editor is black, clean-cut – and American.
11 November 2011 10:31 AM
It’s a dispiriting experience familiar to anyone who has ever asked for beer in one of London’s many high-end restaurants.
04 November 2011 10:37 AM
You don’t have to be in Yorkshire long to notice that the locals like beer.
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf