Will Hawkes works on The Independent's Sports Desk. He writes about beer in his spare time.
18 November 2011 02:44 PM
Today’s Independent carries a profile of Garrett Oliver, but the limitations of print meant there was plenty of interesting stuff that got left out – so here it is...
18 November 2011 12:00 AM
Contrary to stereotypes, its editor is black, clean-cut – and American.
11 November 2011 10:31 AM
It’s a dispiriting experience familiar to anyone who has ever asked for beer in one of London’s many high-end restaurants.
04 November 2011 10:37 AM
You don’t have to be in Yorkshire long to notice that the locals like beer.
24 June 2011 10:05 AM
27 April 2011 12:00 AM
Idle boasts can come back to haunt you. Surrey may have spent the last few seasons bobbing around the bottom of the Second Division but the idea that they're "the Manchester United of cricket", a questionable claim that first reared its head over 10 years ago, persists. Rory Hamilton-Brown, the club's captain, is the latest to invoke English football's most popular side. "As a club, Surrey is the Manchester United of cricket – there is no hiding behind that – but we don't have that status on the field," he said at the beginning of the season.
03 December 2010 12:00 AM
You know things are not quite right Down Under when Jeff Thomson, Pommie-basher-in-chief, starts talking up England's chances. The scourge of the tourists' batting on the infamous 1974-75 tour says that the current Australia attack is the worst in 30 years. "The fact is the Poms are more disciplined, their bowlers are better," he said.
- 1 Top PR exec Justine Sacco under fire for sending racist tweet before flying to Africa
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 The publisher who played with fire: the battle for control of Larsson's £30m legacy
- 5 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness