Day In a Page
Wednesday, 1 January 2014
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Beirut rocked by powerful car explosion
- Antarctica: Helicopter rescue mission begins
- UK: Zoo’s annual animal stocktake
- London and Chester Zoo’s annual animal stocktake
- The annual New Year's Day Polar Bear Swim
- The annual Polar Bear Club celebrations
- Coney Island Polar Bear Club
- The 125th annual Rose Parade in California
- Coney Island Polar Bear Club dip
- James Avery: Star whose role as Uncle Phil in the American sitcom 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' won him fans worldwide
- Sally Vincent: Interviewer with a flair for getting to the heart of her celebrity subjects, and an ear for a well-turned phrase
- Wayne Harrison: Liverpool signing whose promising career was thwarted by serious injury at home and on the pitch
- Peter Zollman: Scientist who worked on the Channel Tunnel and translated into English the verse of his native Hungary
- Geoffrey Wheeler: The face of 'Songs of Praise' and 'Top of the Form' and deviser of the gambling game show 'Winner Takes All'
- Janet Dailey: Author whose determined heroines inspired her many readers to make more of their own lives and careers
- John Fortune: Comedian and author best known for collaborations and sketches that poked fun at the powerful and self-important
- Marta Eggerth: Star of light opera regarded as the definitive 'Merry Widow' who inspired film and stage directors alike
- Bob Allison: Eurovision contestant who was fielded as one half of the British answer to the hitmaking Everly Brothers
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Call out the troops to deal with McCluskey and Co? Not any more
- You can’t fault rail fare increases, which commuter doesn’t want this luxury form of travel?
- Elephant Appeal: Few are willing to say just how bad the poaching crisis is
- Prince William the visiting scholar: Nice university course if you can get it
- Doctor Who to Sherlock: TV franchises now have such devoted followings that casual viewers are alienated
- PJ Harvey on the ‘Today’ programme: A radical and refreshing take on a radio staple
- Is our withdrawal from Afghanistan the answer to our prayers for peace?
- Richard Haass’s talks will not have failed if Britain accepts it must now get real on Northern Ireland
- i Editor's Letter: Obsessed by sharks
- In China, you don't have to look far to find illegal ivory
- Unhappy? Just blame immigrants!
- How Ed Miliband can harness the right's tactics to bring in a wave of left-wing populism in 2014
- Strawberries in winter? Welcome to franken-season
- Why a career is no longer for life
- Make a New Year's resolution to vote for the party you most believe in
- What climate action can we expect in 2014?
- Creating a porn filter is one thing, creating a transparent and functional one quite another
- We need more wage rises at the lower end of the scale
- As another storm threatens, the reality of climate change is starting to hit home
- By legalising marijuana, Colorado is blazing a welcome trail
- It is Unionist cowardice that is largely to blame for the failure to reach an agreement in Northern Ireland
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The Ashes 2013-14: Alastair Cook looks to rookie Scott Borthwick for twist in the tale
- Testing times for the long game of cricket
- Ashes 2013-14: Green Sydney wicket could force changes for Michael Clarke as the Australia captain targets whitewash
- New Zealand's Corey Anderson blasts fastest century in history of one-day internationals
- The Ashes 2013-14: Matt Prior should be back in the team, says Michael Clarke
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Unemployed young people feel they have 'nothing to live for'
- King’s College London terminates contract of lecturer who set up legal firm to help students challenge exam results
- Cambridge University librarian battles Home Office to allow his Chinese wife to stay in Britain
- The academic fat cats: Vice-chancellors at Britain's top universities get £22,000 pay rises – as lecturers are stuck on 1 per cent
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
- 1 Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 5 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'