Day In a Page
Thursday, 1 August 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Fewer resources, greater stress, more disasters: Climate change linked to violence among people and societies
- Problems with your partner's sleep patterns? How the night owl and early bird can get into sync
- Be nice. Evolution will punish you if you’re mean and selfish, says study
- Astronaut Karen Nyberg follows in the footsteps of Chris Hadfield with Twitter pictures from space
- Hyper cam captures stunning image of Andromeda
- Romanthony: DJ and producer who sang for Daft Punk
- Ilya Segalovich: Computer pioneer whose internet search company predated Google
- Wendy Woods: Activist who with her husband, Donald, struggled against apartheid
- Eileen Brennan: Actress best known as the sandpaper-voiced captain in ‘Private Benjamin’
- Henri Alleg: Journalist who fought for Algerian independence
- Berthold Beitz: Industrialist who saved hundreds of Jews from the Nazis
- Phil Woosnam: Footballer who became a pioneer for soccer in the US
- Harry Byrd, Jr: US senator who fought against desegregation
- Hugh Maguire: Violinist who led the BBC Symphony Orchestra
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Lewisham hospital will stay open - but only the lawyers have true cause to celebrate
- Think how good the House of Lords could be
- Errors and Omissions: Stop before you put the words ‘national’ and ‘treasure’ together
- According to Ofcom, we’ve rediscovered watching TV in the living room – but it’s not what it was
- Tales from The Water Cooler: Any vacancy for an Ice Cream Tsar?
- In a culture still rife with homophobia, Liverpool FC's 'banned words' list should be welcomed
- Twitter or toasters: if we don’t like what they bring to our lives, we can simply shut them out
- This week's big questions: Has the Edinburgh Fringe grown too big? Has Twitter gone too far?
- Tim Key: ‘I’ve never been a big festival goer. At 15, I was more likely to help varnish a boat’
- MP or Time Lord – the key criterion should be talent
- Man about town: Whoah! We're going to Ibiza
- Theresa May's Stop and Search for illegal immigrants is only a tactic to win votes
- Like Al Capone, tax proves the downfall for Silvio Berlusconi, the 'man who never dies'
- Is an open relationship the antidote to cheating?
- Like Joan Littlewood at Stratford, there should be more statues of cultural greats to inspire us
- Lessons from the tortured life of Daniel Pelka
- Behold the mythical 'Anti-Feminist'!
- Thatcher and Reagan may have seemed like equals. His invasion of Grenada shows they were not
- WW1: Let us remember - whether enemy or friend
- Without ‘Zoo’ magazine, how would anyone know I'm a sex object?
- If all our politicians play it safe, who’ll be a Tony Benn 30 years from now?
- One thing Ryanair got right - charging extra for needless hand luggage
- Simon Cowell is having a baby with the wife of a close friend - but he remains as inscrutable as ever
- Don’t knock Ryanair – it’s created a revolution in air travel that we should all be celebrating
- 5:2 is just the latest: Britain’s diet industry is worth £2 billion, so why do we buy into it?
- Ladies, Armpits4August is here. So let's take part
- Four everyday activities you didn't know were bad for you
- 1 in 12 have taken a sneaky picture of an attractive stranger, so who else do you photograph?
- Woman charged with criminal damage for painting fence: what do you row with your neighbours about?
- McDonald's remove their branding for ads in France: can you name these products?
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The Ashes third Test day two match report: Aggressive Australians keep turning the screw
- Ashes 2013: Old Trafford Day Two - the best bits
- Ashes 2013: Joe Root and Tim Bresnan fall as Australia take total control at Old Trafford
- Ashes 2013: Old Trafford Day One - the best bits
- Ashes 2013: England v Australia 3rd Test – as it happened
- James Lawton: Time for Kevin Pietersen to give his old greatness an airing at new Old Trafford
- The Ashes 2013: England relish chance to wrap up series against Australia early
- James Lawton: So, how will England react to Australia's first serious counterpunch?
- James Lawton on the Ashes: Classy Michael Clarke brings Ashes series back from the precipice
- Ashes 2013: Frustrated England toil as Michael Clarke displays class
- The Ashes: Michael Clarke talks to Shane Warne then states - don't laugh but we can win series
- The Ashes: Dopey cameo from David Warner inspires Roses rivalry truce
- The Ashes: Graeme Swann puts some positive spin on Tim Bresnan's blunder
- John Townsend: Michael Clarke's majesty highlights the yawning chasm in batting order
- Easy to tip Ballance for England after Gary's latest ton for Yorkshire
- Ashes 2013: Third Test, Day Two in pictures
- Ashes 2013: England v Australia 3rd Test – as it happened
- Ashes 2013: The day Australia fought back in the series
- John Townsend: Chris Rogers haunted by Old Trafford ghost but proves he belongs
- Ashes 2013: Controversial umpire decisions of the 2013 series...so far
- Ashes 2013: Third Test, Day One in pictures
- The Ashes: England have backroom bases covered
- County Championship round-up: Is Luis Reece the consistent opener Lancashire have been searching for?
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Edinburgh 2013 review: Birthday Girls: 2053, Pleasance Courtyard
- Edinburgh 2013 review: David Baddiel - Fame: Not the Musical, Assembly George Square
- Edinburgh 2013 review: Fleabag, Underbelly, Cowgate
- Edinburgh 2013 review: Andrew Lawrence: There Is No Escape, Pleasance Courtyard
- Edinburgh 2013 review: The Confessions of Gordon Brown, Pleasance Courtyard
- My Edinburgh: Wardens playwright Darren Richman on why dying is easy, but comedy is hard
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Britain in debt: Half of UK adults 'living on financial edge'
- Donald MacInnes: Admission impossible? Not with the right ID
- Money Alert: Granny credit
- Mark Dampier: China's growth goals catch investors' eyes
- Kate Hughes: Having older relatives move in may hit ordinary families
- Five Questions About: Holiday car hire
- Kate Hughes: It's time to battle PPI culture rather than vilify bankers
- Kate Hughes: My bonds quest is all about the past
- Questions of cash: Dispute over unwanted laptop appears to be at an impasse
- Can the EU really deliver power to the people?
- Bargain Hunter: Galactic setting for concert extravaganza
- Derek Pain: Brewery joins ranks of those celebrating a very yeasty year
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 'The Fappening': Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Frank Lampard equalises for Manchester City against Chelsea: how the internet reacted
- 3 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair