Day In a Page
Sunday, 17 August 2014
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The world’s friendliest cities: Melbourne and Auckland named the best places to put a smile on your face
- Russia wins tank biathlon, but escalating tensions leave competition limited
- Ebola outbreak: Millionaire preacher TB Joshua 'sends 4,000 bottles of holy water to Sierra Leone as cure'
- Postcard from... Paris
- Theatre critic alleges Sunday Express fired him over ‘revenge porn’ photos
- Julian Assange might have been made ill after two years in the Ecuadorian embassy
- Jackie Chan's son Jaycee Chan arrested in Beijing on drugs charges
- Ice Bucket Challenge: Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Oprah – the most entertaining reactions so far
- 'Hardly the most embarrassing d**k Ian Botham has appeared with' - The best responses to that explicit Twitter hack
- Michael Parkinson on Cliff Richard media treatment: 'There is some kind of witch hunt going on'
- Kevin Spacey pranks Hillary Clinton as House of Cards character in plea to sign Bill Clinton's birthday card
- Chris Pratt: Guardians of the Galaxy actor revisits Scooby-Doo van he lived in when he was homeless in Hawaii
- Jeremy Paxman jokes that the best way to deal with the elderly is to build more Dignitas clinics 'rather like Sweeney Todd's pie shops'
- Robin Williams sent struggling terminal cancer patient video message of hope months before he took his own life
- David Tennant on Scottish Independence: 'Don't ask me, I don’t live there any more'
- Brendan O'Carroll discovers British officer murdered his grandfather during Irish War on independence
- George RR Martin on Scottish independence: 'I've suggested building a giant wall of ice between the two nations'
- Game of Thrones' George RR Martin wants to 'burn out every camera phone in the world'
- Parkinson's drugs to blame for Robin Williams' death claims Rob Schneider: 'One of the side effects is suicide!'
- Gene Simmons apologises for remark telling depression sufferers to kill themselves
- Justin Timberlake sings 'Happy Birthday' to eight-year-old boy with autism
- Dr Robin Carhart-Harris is the first scientist in over 40 years to test LSD on humans - and you're next
- Morris Stevenson, footballer: Gifted and stylish footballer whose magical dribbles and perceptive passing helped bring silverware to Morton
- Philip Mottram: Film-maker and inspiring teacher whose generosity of spirit made him the London Film School’s guiding light
- Peter Sculthorpe: Composer who drew on aboriginal and Asian traditions to forge a distinctive Australian sound
- June Krauser: The ‘mother of Masters swimming' who broke records well into her 70s
- Jake Hooker: Guitarist with Seventies pop band Arrows
- Donald Arden: Religious leader who made a significant and lasting impact as Archbishop of Central Africa
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Fear brings the enemies of Isis together at last
- The new death etiquette: short, shared, shallow
- Iraq crisis: A spineless lack of leadership, an abject lack of strategy
- On tuition fees, we ain't seen nothing yet
- Lessons from Tilbury: How to change conditions in which people-smuggling can thrive
- Pauline Pearce is exactly what politics needs. But politics is too safe and boring to accommodate her
- Why can't our Government spot the difference between Isis and the Muslim Brotherhood?
- America might be waging a war on whistleblowers, but Julian Assange is still a prisoner of his own ego
- August catch-up: What Damian McBride said about Ed Miliband
- The complexity of events in the Middle East is daunting. But oversimplification is to be avoided
- In Sickness and in Health: Listening to my husband swear again is music to my ears
- Don't give us "special measures" – give us back the NHS we know and love
- Who will take on Hilary Clinton in 2016 – and how will they beat her?
- Poor old Cliff Richard is the latest to fall victim to the curse of being Tony Blair’s pal
- The tragic tale of Tilbury's migrants exposes the hopelessness of our immigration system
- If Iraq is to survive, then it must be divided into separate regions
- We wouldn't need to recall Parliament if it worked on the same schedule as the rest of us do
- What a rising demand for the sperm of IDF soldiers and a "fun" questionnaire reveal about Israel
- The shooting of Michael Brown proves (once again) how racial stereotyping can lead to murder
- Is Barack Obama just swinging out his reign?
- My night on a perilous mercy mission to Mount Sinjar with the RAF
- Community spirit? Sikhs and Lord Suri
- Still doing it backwards, and in high heels?
- Humans need not apply: The future of jobs is robot-shaped
- To the frontier of knowledge, on an inflatable
- Chopper bikes are not my kind of retro
- Making pins for Nigel: A spiky issue for Farage's press office
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- England vs India match report: Assertive England complete the humiliation of India in short order
- Alex Hales replaces Ravi Bopara in England ODI squad
- Yorkshire stretch title race lead while Lancashire win a thriller
- Duncan Fletcher’s job on line as India old guard tire of Test defeats
- Yorkshire build on Williamson’s fortune to put vital win in reach
- England vs India: Alastair Cook reveals wife convinced him to remain captain
- England vs India comment: Quick changes in fortune should perhaps not come as such a surprise
- Kane Williamson reprieve could be key title moment for Yorkshire
- England vs India: Latest report from the Fifth Test
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Mortality maths – like the realisation that the last of those name-checked in Madonna's 'Vogue' died last week – make us feel our own lives are racing by
- Are bungalows really the solution to our housing crisis? The housing minister thinks so. And their design needn't leave you feeling flat
- Graham Swift on the mystery of creativity and the joy of writing
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Paxo, Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh Festival review: Jeremy Paxman shows a mild-mannered side
- James Acaster, Recognise, Pleasance Courtyard, review: 'Superficially scattershot but also tight as a drum'
- Nancy Dell Olio: Rainbows from Diamonds, Gilded Balloon, review: 'Absolutely not fabulous enough, darling'
- Sara Pascoe, Assembly George Square, review: 'Her most clear-eyed hour of stand-up yet'
- Sirens, Summerhall and Travesti, Pleasance Dome, reviews: 'Feminism is clearly having a moment in the limelight'
- Lippy, Traverse Theatre, review: 'Dense, difficult, chewy stuff'
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Passport officers no better than untrained amateurs at recognising faces, study finds
- Forget air crashes, it's Asian ferries that tourists should really be wary of
- Explore under the sea with Google 'reef' view
- Elephant tourism: why the call of the wild is too loud to ignore
- Come to lovely Wales (it's really awfully quiet): Tourism groups slam £7m budget to promote their country as 'hopelessly inadequate'
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more