Day In a Page
Sunday, 17 August 2014
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The world’s friendliest cities: Melbourne and Auckland named the best places to put a smile on your face
- Russia wins tank biathlon, but escalating tensions leave competition limited
- Ebola outbreak: Millionaire preacher TB Joshua 'sends 4,000 bottles of holy water to Sierra Leone as cure'
- Postcard from... Paris
- Theatre critic alleges Sunday Express fired him over ‘revenge porn’ photos
- Julian Assange might have been made ill after two years in the Ecuadorian embassy
- Jackie Chan's son Jaycee Chan arrested in Beijing on drugs charges
- Ice Bucket Challenge: Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Oprah – the most entertaining reactions so far
- 'Hardly the most embarrassing d**k Ian Botham has appeared with' - The best responses to that explicit Twitter hack
- Michael Parkinson on Cliff Richard media treatment: 'There is some kind of witch hunt going on'
- Kevin Spacey pranks Hillary Clinton as House of Cards character in plea to sign Bill Clinton's birthday card
- Chris Pratt: Guardians of the Galaxy actor revisits Scooby-Doo van he lived in when he was homeless in Hawaii
- Jeremy Paxman jokes that the best way to deal with the elderly is to build more Dignitas clinics 'rather like Sweeney Todd's pie shops'
- Robin Williams sent struggling terminal cancer patient video message of hope months before he took his own life
- David Tennant on Scottish Independence: 'Don't ask me, I don’t live there any more'
- Brendan O'Carroll discovers British officer murdered his grandfather during Irish War on independence
- George RR Martin on Scottish independence: 'I've suggested building a giant wall of ice between the two nations'
- Game of Thrones' George RR Martin wants to 'burn out every camera phone in the world'
- Parkinson's drugs to blame for Robin Williams' death claims Rob Schneider: 'One of the side effects is suicide!'
- Gene Simmons apologises for remark telling depression sufferers to kill themselves
- Justin Timberlake sings 'Happy Birthday' to eight-year-old boy with autism
- Dr Robin Carhart-Harris is the first scientist in over 40 years to test LSD on humans - and you're next
- Morris Stevenson, footballer: Gifted and stylish footballer whose magical dribbles and perceptive passing helped bring silverware to Morton
- Philip Mottram: Film-maker and inspiring teacher whose generosity of spirit made him the London Film School’s guiding light
- Peter Sculthorpe: Composer who drew on aboriginal and Asian traditions to forge a distinctive Australian sound
- June Krauser: The ‘mother of Masters swimming' who broke records well into her 70s
- Jake Hooker: Guitarist with Seventies pop band Arrows
- Donald Arden: Religious leader who made a significant and lasting impact as Archbishop of Central Africa
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Fear brings the enemies of Isis together at last
- The new death etiquette: short, shared, shallow
- Iraq crisis: A spineless lack of leadership, an abject lack of strategy
- On tuition fees, we ain't seen nothing yet
- Lessons from Tilbury: How to change conditions in which people-smuggling can thrive
- Pauline Pearce is exactly what politics needs. But politics is too safe and boring to accommodate her
- Why can't our Government spot the difference between Isis and the Muslim Brotherhood?
- America might be waging a war on whistleblowers, but Julian Assange is still a prisoner of his own ego
- August catch-up: What Damian McBride said about Ed Miliband
- The complexity of events in the Middle East is daunting. But oversimplification is to be avoided
- In Sickness and in Health: Listening to my husband swear again is music to my ears
- Don't give us "special measures" – give us back the NHS we know and love
- Who will take on Hilary Clinton in 2016 – and how will they beat her?
- Poor old Cliff Richard is the latest to fall victim to the curse of being Tony Blair’s pal
- The tragic tale of Tilbury's migrants exposes the hopelessness of our immigration system
- If Iraq is to survive, then it must be divided into separate regions
- We wouldn't need to recall Parliament if it worked on the same schedule as the rest of us do
- What a rising demand for the sperm of IDF soldiers and a "fun" questionnaire reveal about Israel
- The shooting of Michael Brown proves (once again) how racial stereotyping can lead to murder
- Is Barack Obama just swinging out his reign?
- My night on a perilous mercy mission to Mount Sinjar with the RAF
- Community spirit? Sikhs and Lord Suri
- Still doing it backwards, and in high heels?
- Humans need not apply: The future of jobs is robot-shaped
- To the frontier of knowledge, on an inflatable
- Chopper bikes are not my kind of retro
- Making pins for Nigel: A spiky issue for Farage's press office
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- England vs India match report: Assertive England complete the humiliation of India in short order
- Alex Hales replaces Ravi Bopara in England ODI squad
- Yorkshire stretch title race lead while Lancashire win a thriller
- Duncan Fletcher’s job on line as India old guard tire of Test defeats
- Yorkshire build on Williamson’s fortune to put vital win in reach
- England vs India: Alastair Cook reveals wife convinced him to remain captain
- England vs India comment: Quick changes in fortune should perhaps not come as such a surprise
- Kane Williamson reprieve could be key title moment for Yorkshire
- England vs India: Latest report from the Fifth Test
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Mortality maths – like the realisation that the last of those name-checked in Madonna's 'Vogue' died last week – make us feel our own lives are racing by
- Are bungalows really the solution to our housing crisis? The housing minister thinks so. And their design needn't leave you feeling flat
- Graham Swift on the mystery of creativity and the joy of writing
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Paxo, Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh Festival review: Jeremy Paxman shows a mild-mannered side
- James Acaster, Recognise, Pleasance Courtyard, review: 'Superficially scattershot but also tight as a drum'
- Nancy Dell Olio: Rainbows from Diamonds, Gilded Balloon, review: 'Absolutely not fabulous enough, darling'
- Sara Pascoe, Assembly George Square, review: 'Her most clear-eyed hour of stand-up yet'
- Sirens, Summerhall and Travesti, Pleasance Dome, reviews: 'Feminism is clearly having a moment in the limelight'
- Lippy, Traverse Theatre, review: 'Dense, difficult, chewy stuff'
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Passport officers no better than untrained amateurs at recognising faces, study finds
- Forget air crashes, it's Asian ferries that tourists should really be wary of
- Explore under the sea with Google 'reef' view
- Elephant tourism: why the call of the wild is too loud to ignore
- Come to lovely Wales (it's really awfully quiet): Tourism groups slam £7m budget to promote their country as 'hopelessly inadequate'
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Putin accuses US of causing global instability
- 1 Revolutionary lost Caravaggio painting 'Mary Magdalen in Ecstasy' identified
- 2 McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
- 3 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 4 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 5 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands