Day In a Page
Monday, 18 August 2014
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Uncharted: The most remote locations on Earth
- The only ALS ice bucket challenge video you need to watch has no ice or bucket in it
- Watch as a jet skier collides with a humpback whale
- As conflicts explode worldwide, the aid industry is turning to the private sector, social media and refugees themselves for innovative solutions
- Lauded therapist Harley Miller still in limbo as battle to stay in Britain drags on
- Vin Diesel challenges Vladimir Putin to ice bucket challenge: His response was unenthusiastic
- Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- Robin Williams: Mara Wilson pays tribute to Mrs Doubtfire co-star 'He was different with grown-ups'
- Ferguson protests: Rapper Nelly appeals for crowd calm with rousing megaphone speech
- Daniel Radcliffe takes blood pressure medication. He's 25.
- Davina McCall, on why her late mother dying was 'a relief'
- Russell Brand's views about voting aren't far off fascism, says Al Murray
- Barry Norman: 'Robin Williams was addicted to tooth-rotting sentimentality'
- Celebrity Big Brother 2014: Audley Harrison meets Kellie Maloney: 'Was Kellie really the best you could come up with?'
- Saturday Night Live announcer Don Pardo passes away aged 96
- Theatre critic alleges Sunday Express fired him over ‘revenge porn’ photos
- Julian Assange might have been made ill after two years in the Ecuadorian embassy
- Jackie Chan's son Jaycee Chan arrested in Beijing on drugs charges
- Ice Bucket Challenge: Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Oprah – the most entertaining reactions so far
- 'Hardly the most embarrassing d**k Ian Botham has appeared with' - The best responses to that explicit Twitter hack
- Michael Parkinson on Cliff Richard media treatment: 'There is some kind of witch hunt going on'
- Kevin Spacey pranks Hillary Clinton as House of Cards character in plea to sign Bill Clinton's birthday card
- Chris Pratt: Guardians of the Galaxy actor revisits Scooby-Doo van he lived in when he was homeless in Hawaii
- Jeremy Paxman jokes that the best way to deal with the elderly is to build more Dignitas clinics 'rather like Sweeney Todd's pie shops'
- Robin Williams sent struggling terminal cancer patient video message of hope months before he took his own life
- David Tennant on Scottish Independence: 'Don't ask me, I don’t live there any more'
- Brendan O'Carroll discovers British officer murdered his grandfather during Irish War on independence
- Sam Galbraith: Neurosurgeon who survived a lung transplant and served as Scottish education minister
- Dinu Patriciu: Businessman and enemy of the Romanian president after entering politics
- James Alexander Gordon: Broadcaster and the BBC’s ‘voice of the football results’ for 40 years
- Morris Stevenson, footballer: Gifted and stylish footballer whose magical dribbles and perceptive passing helped bring silverware to Morton
- Philip Mottram: Film-maker and inspiring teacher whose generosity of spirit made him the London Film School’s guiding light
- Peter Sculthorpe: Composer who drew on aboriginal and Asian traditions to forge a distinctive Australian sound
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Hot potato: The expansion of free school meals has been mishandled
- With Modi talking tough and Sharif weak, the India-Pakistan love-in could never last
- Long-term bail allows lazy police and prosecutors to leave cases to gather dust
- Ferguson: The issue Obama must tackle is white control in black areas
- From 007 to Donald Sinden in five easy steps: making yourself irrelevant, the Julian Assange way
- These figures on women’s pay got me wondering – how much has really changed in 40 years?
- August catch-up: a modern sculpture I like, a new rule for life and a tribute to Boy George
- Lessons from Tilbury: How to change conditions in which people-smuggling can thrive
- Pauline Pearce is exactly what politics needs. But politics is too safe and boring to accommodate her
- Why can't our Government spot the difference between Isis and the Muslim Brotherhood?
- America might be waging a war on whistleblowers, but Julian Assange is still a prisoner of his own ego
- August catch-up: What Damian McBride said about Ed Miliband
- Letter from the Defence Correspondent: American weapons are giving Islamist fighters the edge against the Kurds
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Under-35s have rated gardening in their top five favourite leisure activities, but why?
- Mortality maths – like the realisation that the last of those name-checked in Madonna's 'Vogue' died last week – make us feel our own lives are racing by
- Are bungalows really the solution to our housing crisis? The housing minister thinks so. And their design needn't leave you feeling flat
- Kindle e-readers make it 'significantly harder' to absorb the plot of a book, scientists claim
- Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- UK police social media breaches revealed: employees made threatening remarks, posed with weapons, sent friend requests to victims
- North Korean internet users download Top Gear, violent video games and American porn
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Paxo, Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh Festival review: Jeremy Paxman shows a mild-mannered side
- Dane Baptiste, Pleasance Courtyard - review: A confident, affable debut
- Kraken, Underbelly, review: Crude and lewd
- No Guts, No Heart, No Glory, Sandy’s Boxing Gym - review: Powerful and triumphant
- Edinburgh Festival 2014: The worst jokes from the Fringe
- The funniest joke at Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Tim Vine wins for second time
- James Acaster, Recognise, Pleasance Courtyard, review: 'Superficially scattershot but also tight as a drum'
- Nancy Dell Olio: Rainbows from Diamonds, Gilded Balloon, review: 'Absolutely not fabulous enough, darling'
- Sara Pascoe, Assembly George Square, review: 'Her most clear-eyed hour of stand-up yet'
- Sirens, Summerhall and Travesti, Pleasance Dome, reviews: 'Feminism is clearly having a moment in the limelight'
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Rail fare rises are a legacy of decades of underinvestment
- Passport officers no better than untrained amateurs at recognising faces, study finds
- Forget air crashes, it's Asian ferries that tourists should really be wary of
- Explore under the sea with Google 'reef' view
- Elephant tourism: why the call of the wild is too loud to ignore
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more