Day In a Page
Thursday, 21 August 2014
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The highs and lows of the ALS ice bucket challenge
- James Foley video reached 83 per cent of the UK population
- Jermain Defoe says he misses custard, gets sent lots of custard
- Don't panic, Ireland, gay marriage isn't the end of the world
- Do Isis militants really hate fighting female soldiers?
- The definitive list of the world's most unexpected facts
- There's always a bigger fish
- Can you pass a UK citizenship test?
- Scottish independence: Alex Salmond's government accused of exaggerating North Sea oil reserves
- Virgin's Richard Branson calls for 'peaceful resolution' of Ukraine conflict in open letter
- David Abraham: Big ideas for the small screen
- Ronnie Clint dead: Manager of legendary Hollywood eatery dead at 89
- Introducing Lizzo: The flute-playing rapper who has a lot to say on Ferguson
- Lea DeLaria, Orange Is The New Black’s Big Boo: 'We need to put a positive face on being a butch lesbian'
- Katie Hopkins signs up for weight loss challenge after deliberately gaining three stone in three months
- Victoria Beckham dramatically crawls around on all fours after doing ALS ice bucket challenge
- Scott Weiland has NOT been arrested - police confirm doppleganger tricked them
- Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- Nick Cannon casually takes the ALS ice bucket challenge naked, confirms separation from wife Mariah Carey
- Russell Brand nominates Jeremy Paxman, David Cameron and Sean Hannity for ALS ice bucket challenge
- Helen Bamber dies: Human rights campaigner who worked with survivors of the Nazi Holocaust was 89
- Paul Gascoigne 'being treated in hospital' after he was found drunk outside his home
- Jackie Chan on son's drug charges: 'I am ashamed and angry'
- Richard Dawkins offers half apology over those Down syndrome comments: 'Half the problem lies in a wanton eagerness to misunderstand'
- Russell Brand opposes anti-Semitism after death threats: 'We must disavow all forms of prejudice that lead to exclusion and execution'
- Kellie Maloney on her children coming to terms with her transgender self: 'They will always call me dad'
- Piers Morgan unsurprisingly cheated at the ALS ice bucket challenge, but he did nominate Jeremy Clarkson
- Hayden Panettiere nominates her unborn child to take the ALS ice bucket challenge
- Wayne Rooney throws ice bucket on wife Coleen Rooney’s head during ALS challenge
- Amy Winehouse statue to be erected in Camden
- Gwyneth Paltrow takes on ALS ice bucket challenge sans ice, nominates ex Chris Martin
- Robin Williams ashes scattered over San Francisco Bay a day after his suicide
- Albert Reynolds death: Former Irish Prime Minister dies after suffering from Alzheimer’s disease
- The difference between psychopaths and anti-social people lies in brain activity, experts claim
- Cities are breeding bigger spiders, say scientists, but that's definitely a good thing
- Microbial life found living on the exterior of the International Space Station, say reports
- Crows and other animals grieve for their dead, new book claims
- Antarctic microbes can survive for millennia
- Helen Bamber: Psychotherapist who for seven decades worked in nearly 100 countries helping the victims of government torture
- BKS Iyengar: Teacher who spread yoga around the world and numbered Menuhin, Huxley and Tendulkar among his followers
- Flight Lieutenant Jack Sherburn: Pilot awarded a DFC for his gallantry against the Mau Mau who went on to serve in Suez and fly with Yuri Gagarin
- James Foley: Photojournalist respected for his pictures and admired for his courage who was murdered by terrorists
- Albert Reynolds: Politician who helped bring peace to Northern Ireland but could not keep together two coalition governments
- Candida Lycett Green: Author who helped 'Private Eye' get off the ground and edited the letters and prose of her father, John Betjeman
- Don Pardo: Broadcaster best known for his work on 'Saturday Night Live' on US television in a career lasting over 60 years
- Albert Reynolds
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Air strikes? Talk of God? Barack Obama is following the jihadists’ script after James Foley beheading
- Letters: The West flounders in the Middle East morass
- To vote no or not to vote no, that is the question... Although do celebrities really have the answer?
- Jihadi John and his fellow Isis fighters from the UK are flippant, fanatical... and distinctly British
- Editor's Letter: August is anything but the silly season
- Errors and Omissions: Plagued by an inappropriate use of a metaphor
- Grant asylum to migrants who arrive close to death – but don’t be surprised if it inspires more tragedies
- Despite what their critics say, Israel is using precision targeting to kill its enemies
- A comedian has opened an alcohol-free nightclub. Is he having a laugh?
- Why do women opt for cosmetic surgery when there is such beauty in age?
- Voices in Danger: Syria is the most dangerous country in the world for journalists
- Rick Perry could end up in jail for the rest of his life — so why does he look so smug?
- August catch-up: architecture, suitcases and ‘pathetic figures’
- Next they'll say an independent Scotland can't use British clouds...
- Once I would have agreed with Dawkins. Then my daughter was born with Down's Syndrome
- The definition of a ‘high-earner’ has changed, and tax must change with it
- Turkey and Saudi Arabia must step up the fight against Isis
- Should America pay Isis ransom money to free hostages like James Foley?
- The Malky Mackay allegations raise the spectre of Britain's casual racism
- The truth about kids on holiday
- August catch-up: Barack's phone calls, tribute to Norm and my Desert Island Discs
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Video: Latest transfer news - PSG drop out of race for Angel Di Maria and Manchester United register interest in Sami Khedira
- Premier League weekend preview: Mario Balotelli, Everton vs Arsenal and other talking points
- Video: Latest transfer news - Mario Balotelli agrees Liverpool move as Angel di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- US Open 2014: Serena Williams forgets age and stays focused on the present
- US Open 2014: Andy Murray insists he is back to his best ahead after barren spell
- US Open 2014: Why has Novak Djokovic gone from wonderful to woeful in space of months?
- US Open 2014: Andy Murray faces tough route against old rivals from the outset in New York
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Movie pirate given almost 3 years in prison for filming Fast & Furious 6 in back of cinema
- iPhone 6 production reportedly delayed by Apple's demand for 'thinnest phone possible'
- Windows 9 codename 'Threshold' set for September 30th unveiling, claim reports
- Wearable chair allows workers to sit anywhere - and could save millions in healthcare bills
- Future Isis beheadings banned from LiveLeak
- 'I Can Haz Islamic State Plz': Isis propaganda on Twitter turns to kittens and lolspeak
- SoundCloud introducing adverts in the US
- US hospital 'Heartbleed hack' lost information belonging to 4.5 million patients
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Emma Lunn: In my experience, most energy firms are as bad as one other
- Questions of Cash: My son couldn't drive the hire car he had paid for
- HijackRAT: Experts warn of "significant development" in mobile malware
- Mark Dampier: Cost alone should not be the basis of an investment decision
- Derek Pain: It's goodbye to Animalcare - with a watching brief on Findel
- Emma Lunn: If train fares are fair then air travel must be a bargain
- A student's guide to financial survival: You don't have to drown in debt at university
- Energy firms found guilty of bad practice could have licences revoked under Labour government
- Donald MacInnes: Time for Barclays and the Premier League to get a sense of humour
- Money Insider: Don't score an own goal with affinity cards
- Emma Lunn: All in this together? Not if you're single and don't have children
- Bargain Hunter: Kit yourself out in sports gear - at a healthy discount of up to 75%
- Four million signed up for company pension scheme following government’s auto-enrolment
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned PR disaster
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond