Day In a Page
Tuesday, 31 December 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Large Hadron Collider revamp promises massive power boost for fresh experiments
- The sun 'flips upside down': 10 surprising facts about our star
- Earth 'will heat up by 4C' by the year 2100, scientists predict
- Racing pulse, glowing cheeks and a heavy heart: ‘Body atlas’ heatmaps reveal where we feel different emotions
- Sammy Taylor: Left-winger who helped Preston North End give Wolves a run for their money at the top of the table
- Wojciech Kilar: Award-winning writer of film score for 'The Pianist' who had a gift for creating visual images in sound
- Addison Cresswell: Talent-spotter who brought a string of comedians to the fore and forged a new format for television comedy
- Peter Zollman: Scientist who worked on the Channel Tunnel and translated into English the verse of his native Hungary
- Geoffrey Wheeler: The face of 'Songs of Praise' and 'Top of the Form' and deviser of the gambling game show 'Winner Takes All'
- Janet Dailey: Author whose determined heroines inspired her many readers to make more of their own lives and careers
- John Fortune: Comedian and author best known for collaborations and sketches that poked fun at the powerful and self-important
- Marta Eggerth: Star of light opera regarded as the definitive 'Merry Widow' who inspired film and stage directors alike
- Bob Allison: Eurovision contestant who was fielded as one half of the British answer to the hitmaking Everly Brothers
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- i Editor's Letter: Predictions for 2014
- Nepal’s billionaire noodle king says things are looking up for the Himalayan republic
- The three main parties suffered in the polls this year. Only UKIP truly did well
- Complain about Twitter being trivial and you’re missing the point of it
- Questions to which the answer is still no
- Elephants on the edge
- Got a New Year's Eve hangover? Call for an Angel
- When I’m offered my OBE – and it’s ‘when’ not ‘if’ – I’ll grab it with both hands
- Why I won't be shopping in the UK's first Veganz supermarket
- Ten things I won't be giving up in 2014
- i Editor's Letter: In Defence of Milton Keynes
- In China, you don't have to look far to find illegal ivory
- Unhappy? Just blame immigrants!
- How Ed Miliband can harness the right's tactics to bring in a wave of left-wing populism in 2014
- Strawberries in winter? Welcome to franken-season
- Why a career is no longer for life
- Make a New Year's resolution to vote for the party you most believe in
- What climate action can we expect in 2014?
- Creating a porn filter is one thing, creating a transparent and functional one quite another
- The Independent's Christmas charity auction: Part three
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The Ashes 2013-14: Alastair Cook looks to rookie Scott Borthwick for twist in the tale
- Ashes 2013-14: End of an era but to what lengths should the England evolution run?
- Ashes 2013-14: Five in the firing line - England players whose futures must be under consideration
- The Light Roller: Will the New Year herald a new start for England?
- Ashes 2013-14: England coach Andy Flower wants to stay on to face the challenge of a 'fresh cycle' after humbling series defeat
- Ashes 2013-14: From laughing stock to legends in just over six months - how England helped Australia look better than they are
- New Zealand's Corey Anderson blasts fastest century in history of one-day internationals
- The Ashes 2013-14: Matt Prior should be back in the team, says Michael Clarke
- Michael Schumacher: Niki Lauda describes skiing accident as 'shocking and unexplainable' as racing world prays for former world champion
- Michael Schumacher: Reaction in Germany claims seven-time world champion can't do anything without risk as he continues to fight for his life after skiing accident
- Michael Schumacher: Arsene Wenger says Arsenal are shocked by the injuries to a man he 'admires' for his achievements
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Labour Party conference: Ed Balls to set out plan to freeze child benefit to balance books
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 3 What are your fingerprint words?
- 4 Gary Lineker involved in Twitter row after presenter rubbishes claims he will be warned by BBC over foul-mouthed tweets
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years