Day In a Page
Wednesday, 9 October 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- In a galaxy far, far away... a water world capable of supporting life
- Scientists discover loneliest planet without a companion sun
- Unprecedented shift in temperature will begin to hit tropics in less than a decade
- Trio win Nobel Prize in Chemistry for making Newton's classical physics work side-by-side with quantum physics
- Parkinson’s drug may work on MS
- Paul Rogers: Actor acclaimed for his stage work in Stratford, London and on Broadway
- Phil Chevron: Guitarist with the Pogues and founder-member of Ireland's first punk band
- Abraham Nemeth: Inventor of a Braille system for science and mathematics
- Squadron Leader Ulric Cross: Pilot who went on to become a judge and diplomat
- Nicholas Oresko: Soldier who fought in the Battle of the Bulge
- 'Chopper' Read: Criminal whose life story became a successful film
- Rabbi Ovadia Yosef Religious leader who became a kingmaker
- Patrice Chéreau: Film, theatre and opera director hailed for his Bayreuth Ring Cycle and for 'La Reine Margot'
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Grace Dent: How come it's lesbians rather than gay men that are giving up on civil partnerships?
- We’ve been hiding corruption too long, it’s time to let the ‘grass’ grow
- The great Bridget Jones/David Jason mash-up
- Hands off our seedy Soho: Do we really want our London streets ‘cleaned up’?
- It was only when I rubbed shoulders with private school children that I realised what we had missed
- Royal Mail: So is this the share float that could win the Tories the next election?
- A Nobel Prize for Lampedusa? Let’s not forget the real issue here is emigration
- Football's not coming home: Pride in the national game has floundered beyond belief
- It's not just David Weir. A chronic shortage of social housing is making life hell for thousands of people with disabilities
- World Mental Health Day: Nobody should ever be alone with a mental health problem
- Nobel Prize 2013: Win for shame-busting, truth-telling Alice Munro is also a victory for women authors and the short story itself
- Libya: Ali Zeidan's abduction perfectly illustrates failure of the post-Gaddafi state
- The obvious reasons why UK literacy and numeracy skills are among the lowest in the developed world
- SB.TV founder Jamal Edwards goes Back to School: ‘Young people should realise that's when they can make magic happen’
- Newspapers are ignoring the reality. Our press will still be free
- Tommy Robinson has left the EDL. But this is a change of key, not a change of message
- i Editor's Letter: Why we're launching a back to school campaign
- Back to School: What is the campaign?
- Why I decided to go Back to School
- Downton Abbey: Nothing gratuitous about this harrowingly accurate rape scene
- The holy grail of British moths is a real bolt from the blue
- Case Study: Serkan Hussein
- Want to know where the real drama is? In everyday women’s lives
- Jack Wilshere debate: The problem with English football isn't foreigners, it's lack of foreign tactics
- Help to Buy: The government scam of a lifetime
- Boris Johnson, Nick Clegg and phone-in politics
- Why we need to reform fostering for the over-18s
- Open All Hours Christmas special: is no TV classic safe from being revived, reheated – or ruined?
- Help to Buy: George, David and Ed were all missing for their basic lesson in economics
- From Sinead O'Connor and Annie Lennox to Miley Cyrus and Rihanna: What we are watching is the blurring of pop with porn
- Failure of private prisons must force a rethink
- There is no easy solution to the crisis in British education
- Barack Obama and the Republican Party are engaged in an existential battle
- To offshore or not to offshore? That is the question
- Making the most of the urban cacophony
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- 'Awesome' Sachin Tendulkar to declare at 200
- 'Every heart in India is crying today': India mourns the retirement of Sachin Tendulkar
- Sachin Tendulkar to retire from international cricket later this year after playing 200th Test for India
- Deja vu as Australia start tour in turmoil with Michael Clarke injured and David Warner dropped
- The Ashes: Hot Spot dropped for series in Australia following controversial decisions
- Australia batsman David Warner vows to grow up and act like a 'mature adult' after latest sanction for grade game no-show
- Sri Lanka all-rounder Tillakaratne Dilshan retires from Test cricket
Life & Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts & Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- We need tuition fees of up to £16,000, says Oxford vice-chancellor Professor Andrew Hamilton
- Edinburgh students 'removed and detained' ahead of Princess Anne's visit
- 'Freshers Violation': Outrage at Leeds student night's promo video
- Sun down: Essex University union bans sale of 'The Sun'
- Members of the public banned from UEA bars
- Survey reveals growing number of grandparents contributing towards their grandchildren’s university education
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Malaysia flight MH370: Pitbull song lyrics bear uncanny resemblance to missing plane mystery, according to YouTubers
- 4 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers