Day In a Page
- Sam Butera: Saxophonist and entertainer who found fame as Louis Prima's 'Big Horn'
- Edward Harper: Composer who championed contemporary music in Scotland
- Terence Edmond: Actor whose career began with 'Z Cars' and ended with 'The Bill'
- Bernard Barker: CIA agent who took part in the Watergate burglary
- Alfred H. Gordon: Banker who foresaw the 1929 Wall Street Crash and ran the London Marathon at 81
- Eric Simms: Ornithologist who presented 'The Countryside Programme' on the BBC for nearly 40 years
- Obits in Brief: Robert Furchgott
- Anne Brown
- Glenda Jackson: How to beat the fascists? Build houses ...
- Ian Birrell: How our politicians failed to stop the rise of the far right
- Simon Calder: Airbus stands by its 'fly-by-wire'. But how safe is it?
- Roderick Floud: Costume dramas give a false picture of the size people used to be
- Michael McCarthy: A special hat-trick on a special island
- Liz Hoggard: Female confessions come at a price
- Nick Clegg: Governments that can't be scrutinised will always turn oppressive
- Mark Hughes: No surprises but I'm still a committed appaholic
- Emma Bamford: I never thought a cow could take me by surprise
- Sangakkara class sinks Australia
- Missing Ashes 'not an option' says Flintoff
- Broad backs home crowd to drive on England
- James Lawton: Cricket should not be fun – Twenty20 has stripped it of intrigue and brutality
- Pietersen takes pride in England's fearless show
- Akmal and Afridi block Dutch double delight
- Sporting defeats enjoyed around the world
- Pietersen to play through Achilles injury
- Ponting baffled by Australia exit
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Ukip captures Labour fortress in South Yorkshire by-election
- 4 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.