Day In a Page
Monday, 3 December 2012
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The binge-drinking gene: Scientists identify key risk factor in alcohol abuse
- The final frontier: Voyager 1 at edge of solar system
- How do you study 600 boozing teenage boys?
- Volcanoes may be erupting on the planet Venus
- Heaven above - carnage below: International Space Station pictures look eerily serene
- Patrick Edlinger: ‘The god of free climbing’ who became a national hero in France
- Ian Parrott: Modernist composer who drew on Welsh folk traditions
- Zig Ziglar: Motivational speaker
- Ian Campbell: Musician whose politically charged band led the British folk revival of the 1960s
- Phil Taylor: Oldest surviving England football international
- Professor Jakes Gerwel: Mandela’s unsung hero
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Poll: Chancellor George Osborne will order £5bn cut from Whitehall budgets in his Autumn Statement. What should the money freed up be spent on?
- Onesies voted worst fashion trend of 2012
- Bring back Bill Buckley - all is forgiven!
- Video: Beyonce, The Movie
- Is Anti-Virus John McAfee in Guatemala?
- Are we heading for war in Syria?
- Ten new stories you won't hear because Kate Middleton is pregnant
- Frankie Boyle vs. James Arthur: who won the Twitter row?
- Wills and Kate: Best baby tweets
- America reacts to Kate Middleton's pregnancy
- William Hill, Paddy Power taking bets on Kate Middleton pregnancy
- Buzzfeed reacts to Kate Middleton's pregnancy
- Kate Middleton: what will the baby look like?
- What next for Prince William's career now that Kate Middleton is pregnant?
- Kate Middleton pregnant: how the baby was planned
- Kate Middleton pregnant: the wait is over!
- What should Wills and Kate name their royal baby?
- Poll: Is it beneath Pope Benedict XVI to engage with the masses on Twitter?
- The New Yorker profile of Elisabeth Murdoch
- David Blanchflower: Ideology rules the Coalition's jobs policies
- Time for an economics lesson, Mr Mackenzie
- George Osborne's cruel Autumn Statement will create a winter of discontent for the disabled
- Compassion in nursing starts elsewhere
- Does Anna Wintour know that the US embassy is moving? Does she still want to be Ambassador?
- Let's give all crimes the Leveson treatment
- Who exactly is supposed to be interested in Kate’s baby? Not me – and not anyone I know
- Talbot Church: The man the Royals trust
- How the very civil marriage between Cameron and Clegg brought out Gyles Brandreth's inner luvvie
- Which way will the US turn over the fiscal cliff? The key question about George Osborne's Autumn Statement is one the Chancellor can't answer
- As sperm quality declines, fewer couples will be able to have children
- Syria's elite used to believe the bureaucracy would continue even after the fall of Bashar al-Assad. After Makdissi’s defection, that has changed
- We're turning Britain into the most open and transparent and country on earth. Here's how you can benefit too
- Take it from a veteran – laughing isn’t funny at a nativity play
- An all female cast for Shakespeare's Julius Caesar at the Donmar? That sounds like progress to me
- Virginia Ironside's Dilemmas: Will my untidy daughter ever get a man?
- An open letter to FHM, on why it’s not acceptable to refer to women as ‘victims’
- Rotherham gives Labour and Ed Miliband crucial lessons. Will they learn the right or wrong ones?
- The sites that decide the price based on your internet history
- Oh yes it's ladies’ night and the feeling's wrong
- Relax, Facebook’s Photo Sync is an opt-in feature. If you’re worried about privacy, simply don’t use it
- Art imitating life: How sexism in video games mirrors real-life gender imbalance
- So Atos are happy to test disabled people, but not so willing to evacuate them during a fire alarm
- The girl who was raised as a boy so she wasn't abused says a lot about society
- Don't tell me it's a 'fact' that all Muslims in South Asia are descended from rapists
- The idea that all Jews have the same views about Israel and Palestine is wrong, rude and offensive
- Perhaps George Osborne is indeed a fine political tactician. But is his economic medicine working?
- Amazon, Google Starbucks: why many people trust these business giants more than the MPs who call them immoral
- From the Pope's new Twitter account: Anyone know if it’s a mortal sin to end a tweet with OMG?
- If you value your life, move away from that thermostat
- British Comedy Awards: The serious business of finding new ways to make people laugh
- God bless this royal foetus! As Kate Middleton announces she is pregnant, here's why we should all love the glorious House of Windsor
- A poem to Kate and Wills
- So long as the US taxes income rather than wealth, Grover Norquist might as well be winning
- What if it's a girl? The constitutional dilemma facing Prince William and a pregnant Kate Middleton
- Rejoice! An open letter to dear Kate Middleton and Prince William, who are expecting their first child
- International Day of Disabled People: Why isn't Iain Duncan Smith looking at the barriers that prevent disabled people from getting work?
- If the law had been enforced properly, there would be no hacking scandal, Leveson Inquiry, or change in regulation. So why do we need new laws?
- Lord Leveson understands that legal back-up could improve the quality of journalism in Britain
- In defence of multinationals: Danny Alexander may boycott Starbucks - but it's our barmy tax system that's to blame
- What the victory of independent George Ferguson in Bristol tells us about the democracy in Britain
- Messing with natural habitats only makes flooding worse
- So Australia are banning branded packaging on cigarettes, why not go one further and ban all of our vices?
- What are you looking at? A 'Jewish' face (whatever that means) is more complicated than you think
- Golf brings out the best and the worst in humanity
- Enough tokenism. Show us some disabled superheroes for kids to look up to
- By your font shall you be judged (I'm Pistilli Roman)
- The Sketch: Meet the frackers? Hayes thinks we're not ready for such an introduction
- Editorial: More of the same will not do, Chancellor
- Editorial: Time to up the pressure on tax-avoiding giants
- Editorial: Take a stand on illegal settlements
- Editorial: A confusion of science and politics
- Editorial: Phoney war with Syria is better than a real one
- Editorial: A Turner Prize to confound the sceptics
- Editorial: Anna Wintour, the perfect envoy for our times
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Revitalised England enter India's snake-pit wary of forbidden fruit
- Cook delighted that Giles has been thrown into the England mix
- Ricky Ponting plays final innings for Australia
- Bell to win battle with Bairstow for middle-order slot
- How England won in India's garden
- Ian Bell: Nappy time is on hold, now I want my own 'daddy hundred' in India
- Steven Finn 'ready to go' for England in the third Test against India
- Kevin Garside: Everyman Ponting bows out as legend of Australian grit
Life & Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers