Day In a Page
Monday, 14 January 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Robert Kee: Pioneering reporter whose career was distinguished by his strongly held principles
- Enrique Meneses: Acclaimed photojournalist
- Professor James M Buchanan: Economist who won the Nobel Prize
- Simon Lane: Novelist whose life outdid his fiction
- Jon Finch Actor who brought a brooding intensity to Polanski's film 'The Tragedy of Macbeth'
- John Sheardown: Diplomat who sheltered Americans during the Iran hostage crisis
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The world has gone mad if Julie Burchill can’t stir things up and cause offence
- My Mad Fat Diary is a breath of fresh air for mental illness on TV
- Labour says the working class no longer exists, so why do 60 per cent of us claim to belong to it?
- If the pension pot is empty, we have to let older people work
- Hopefully my discontent with winter will be made glorious summer by this boiler repair man
- On Europe, it's not whether we stay or go that matters. It's how we negotiate our relationship
- No word yet on 'boo' to a goose, but thankfully saying 'woof' to a dog is no longer punishable by law
- We should not pay a penny of RBS’s fraud fine
- Airing controversial views is the great skill of Julie Burchill's career - and something the Observer should never shy away from
- Don't forget the critical role of China in Mali
- A loss for the Christian lobby: the ECHR ruling reinforces the crucial point that religious rights don't automatically trump the rights of others
- Scrabble: do you think the letter values should change, or should we keep it classic?
- Social media promotes aid to Africa, from Africa
- Only 25 per cent of children walk to school alone compared to 86 per cent in 1971. What went wrong?
- The shocking truth about Ukip? There's nothing remotely shocking about the overdue implosion of these frothing, neo-feudalist cowboys
- The racist video in which a woman calls a man a 'smelly Nigerian' and he punches her shows two wrongs don't make a right
- The beheading of a housemaid in Saudi Arabia highlights slave-like conditions
- Julie Burchill should be free to offend
- Twilight fans, Facebook house parties and the mother-in-law email: The top 10 stories when we've shared too much
- As Facebook users dropped by over 600,000 in December - have we shared too much on social media?
- Why the news about HMV closing means a little bit of magic has gone out of our lives
- Aaron Swartz - a tragic death, a remarkable man
- If you ask me...Are you financially inept(ish)? Here’s the tax return form for you
- Tell the British we can’t choose on the EU and we’ll want a vote all the more
- American audiences must already be bored by all the British award acceptance speeches
- Let’s see the top civil servants on television
- Why must you and I pay for Savile’s crimes?
- The tyranny of trying to be happy is what’s making us so miserable
- Virginia Ironside's Dilemmas: It's me or the puppy
- Despite Jodie Foster 'coming out' at the Golden Globes, celebrities are not fit to be role models
- One crucial clause is missing from this PIP reform, and its absence will dismay disabled people
- In his opposition to a progressive tax rise, Ed Balls proves he's a prisoner of his Brownite past
- Public sector services must be effective first, efficient second
- To Julie Burchill, Suzanne Moore and all feminists: The absence of trans people in the media is as important as the absence of women in the media
- Quentin Tarantino's interview outburst tarnishes violent cinema
- #HMVmemories records customer nostalgia as HMV enters administration
- Apple's stock price: It can go down, too?
- Poll: Is this Yeah Yeah Yeahs album cover crazy good, or just crazy?
- Poll: Is Britain right to assist the French intervention in Mali?
- LISTEN: Justin Timberlake's new song ‘Suit & Tie’ featuring Jay Z
- Who else did Scientologist Tom Cruise audition to be his wife?
- WATCH: Jodie Foster's moving 'coming out' speech at the Golden Globes
- Why are supernatural beliefs so important to religion?
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Rory McIlroy backs Paul McGinley over Colin Montgomerie for Ryder Cup
- Coming to a billboard near you... poster boy Rory McIlroy hits big time with Nick sponsorship deal
- Top dollar for Rory McIlroy who joins blue-chip brotherhood with Nike deal
- Colin Montgomerie emerges as contender to Paul McGinley for Ryder Cup captaincy
- Nike's first obstacle: Will it be Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy in Sunday red?
- Paul McGinley: The players' choice for the Ryder Cup captaincy
- Andy Murray cruises into round two of Australian Open
- Watson battles back to wipe out signs of second-season syndrome
- Laura Robson overcomes Melanie Oudin to move into second round of Australian Open
- Heather Watson battles through to second round of Australian Open
- Victoria Azarenka and Serena Williams suffer scares before progressing at the Australian Open
- 'True fan' Rory McIlroy sacrifices sleep to watch girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki in action
- Roger Federer content after straightforward victory at the Australian Open
- Head of men's tennis Brad Drewett steps down after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease
- Home comforts are hard to find for Australia as only one player from nine goes through
- Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams remain on course for third round showdown
- Novak Djokovic sweeps aside opponent to reach second round at the Australian Open
- Players and officials shocked by Brad Drewett illness
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football