Day In a Page
Tuesday, 15 January 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Daphne Oxenford: Actress who was the voice of 'Listen With Mother' for over two decades
- Daniel Edelman: Public relations pioneer
- Dr John Norris: GP who survived a kidnap ordeal
- Klemens von Klemperer: Authority on the Nazi regime
- Jeanne Vertefeuille: CIA officer who unmasked the spy Aldrich Ames
- Nagisa Oshima Film director best known for the controversial 'In the Realm of the Senses'
- Robert Kee
- Professor James M Buchanan: Economist who won the Nobel Prize
- Simon Lane: Novelist whose life outdid his fiction
- Jon Finch Actor who brought a brooding intensity to Polanski's film 'The Tragedy of Macbeth'
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- London helicopter crash will raise concern about flight rules far beyond Vauxhall
- The death of traditional retailers like HMV started when we caught on to one-click and the joy of owning DVDs wore thin
- The world has gone mad if Julie Burchill can’t stir things up and cause offence
- It sounds like a replay of Algeria’s civil war. Don’t bet on a happy ending
- Cameron's 'historic' speech proves he's the latest leader to lose control of his party over Europe
- Horse meat in your burgers? If the food’s processed, you’re right to worry
- In the bitter cold, under a starry sky, a glimpse of a bird of mystery
- Ukip, Berlusconi, and the Black Death. It must be the new Dan Brown
- If you ask me...I've figured out how to take over Twitter
- Let more women report how the country is run
- Who is Islamic cleric Dr. Tahir ul-Qadri? And why should Pakistan care?
- By threatening to confess all to Oprah Winfrey, Lance Armstrong shows us what we sorely miss in Britain
- Small farms are critical in the fight against hunger
- Be careful what you 'like' - Facebook Graph Search might make you rethink those ridiculous groups
- Kourtney offers to breastfeed her sister Kim Kardashian's baby - so what's the big deal?
- 'Visibility must have been zero, or close to it... The helicopter flew straight into dense fog. As a former pilot, this struck me as peculiar, to put it mildly'
- New year diet and gym resolutions are often a bad idea
- Labour says the working class no longer exists, so why do 60 per cent of us claim to belong to it?
- If the pension pot is empty, we have to let older people work
- Hopefully my discontent with winter will be made glorious summer by this boiler repair man
- On Europe, it's not whether we stay or go that matters. It's how we negotiate our relationship
- No word yet on 'boo' to a goose, but thankfully saying 'woof' to a dog is no longer punishable by law
- We should not pay a penny of RBS’s fraud fine
- Airing controversial views is the great skill of Julie Burchill's career - and something the Observer should never shy away from
- Don't forget the critical role of China in Mali
- A loss for the Christian lobby: the ECHR ruling reinforces the crucial point that religious rights don't automatically trump the rights of others
- Scrabble: do you think the letter values should change, or should we keep it classic?
- Social media promotes aid to Africa, from Africa
- Only 25 per cent of children walk to school alone compared to 86 per cent in 1971. What went wrong?
- The shocking truth about Ukip? There's nothing remotely shocking about the overdue implosion of these frothing, neo-feudalist cowboys
- The racist video in which a woman calls a man a 'smelly Nigerian' and he punches her shows two wrongs don't make a right
- The beheading of a housemaid in Saudi Arabia highlights slave-like conditions
- Julie Burchill should be free to offend
- As Facebook users dropped by over 600,000 in December - have we shared too much on social media?
- Twilight fans, Facebook house parties and the mother-in-law email: The top 10 stories when we've shared too much
- Why the news about HMV closing means a little bit of magic has gone out of our lives
- #EbayYellowSkaterDress: Woman accidentally posts nearly naked photo of herself on eBay
- Poll: As two women are selected for Sussex County cricket team, should all sport be gender blind?
- Poll: Is Lady Gaga wrong to use guns as a fashion accessory?
- 8 "heinous" food safety violations at the worst kebab shop in Britain
- The best #horsemeat and #findus Twitter gags following the Findus "beef" lasagne blunder
- #HMVmemories records customer nostalgia as HMV enters administration
- Apple's stock price: It can go down, too?
- Editorial: The West must plan for an arc of uncertainty
- Editorial: Strasbourg performs a double service for us
- Editorial: Where's the beef? We should know
- Editorial: Don't let HMV drown in the Amazon
- Editorial: A warning for London and its planners
- Editorial: Still an island of ignorance about Europe
- View from Bamako: 'They cut off the man's hand with scissors. They want to destroy Mali'
- Are Pakistan's military and courts gearing up for another assault on a fledgling democracy?
- As long as the cash rolls in, the West appears untroubled by Gulf monarchies' ideology
- Rhodri Marsden: How to survive an uncomfortable silence (hint: it's best not to panic)
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Rory McIlroy swings it for Paul McGinley to win Ryder Cup captaincy race
- Colin Montgomerie backs system that denies him second shot at Ryder Cup captaincy
- Martin Kaymer content to play gooseberry
- Nike's first obstacle: Will it be Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy in Sunday red?
- Paul McGinley: The players' choice for the Ryder Cup captaincy
- Heather Watson snatches victory from jaws of defeat in Australian Open
- Andy Murray cruises into round two of Australian Open
- Laura Robson overcomes Melanie Oudin to move into second round of Australian Open
- Novak Djokovic demolishes opponent at the Australian Open
- Maria Sharapova sets up Australian Open clash with Venus Williams
- David Ferrer battles through to second round
- Victorious Vekic will not switch to Team GB
- Andy Murray and Laura Robson ready to turn up heat after scorching starts
- Victoria Azarenka and Serena Williams suffer scares before progressing at the Australian Open
- 'True fan' Rory McIlroy sacrifices sleep to watch girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki in action
- Roger Federer content after straightforward victory at the Australian Open
- Head of men's tennis Brad Drewett steps down after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease
- Players and officials shocked by Brad Drewett illness
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster