Day In a Page
Wednesday, 13 November 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Why grandma, what a big family tree you have... Scientific research has been used to trace Little Red Riding Hood’s roots....
- Your dog is 10,000 years older than scientists thought
- 3.5 billion-year-old 'horribly smelly' fossil found in Australia is 'oldest ever complete example of life on Earth'
- A Nobel effort: The winners and losers in the battle for the top prize
- A valuable weapon in war against drug-resistant superbugs: Antibiotic offers hope
- Sociable people have 'bigger' brains
- Nasa's spectacular image of Saturn shows 'the day the Earth smiled'
- Panthera blytheae: Scientists discover oldest ever big cat fossil
- Joaquin Hernandez Galicia: Oil workers' leader who became rich and powerful but fell foul of president he made the mistake of crossing
- Barbara Hicks: Veteran of stage and television who excelled in period dramas and worked with Olivier, Coward and Ayckbourn
- Professor Olive Stevenson: Academic whose work helped pave the way for effective provision of child protection services
- Colonel Earl Browning: Counter-intelligence officer who was a lone voice in opposing the use of Klaus Barbie as a paid informant
- Peter Fatialofa: Sportsman who led Samoa to victory over Wales and on to the quarter-finals of the 1991 World Cup
- Manfred Rommel: Field-Marshal's son who served as the popular and successful mayor of Stuttgart for 22 years
- John Tavener: Musician whose work was informed by the spiritual fulfilment he found in the Russian Orthodox Church
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Channel 4's ‘Bedlam’ is right to expose the tough reality of severe mental illness
- We are ruled by an ‘out-of-touch, moneyed elite’. But their advantages might actually help
- Don’t tell us under-25s we’re stingy. Paying our way is hard enough as it is
- No wonder the Mafia are nervous. This pope is not one to indulge the wishes of gangsters
- In Viennese painting of the early 20th Century, you get a sense of horrors to come
- Boris's comments on ‘hasty, rash, precipitous’ cyclists is classic government victim-blaming
- It's obvious why John McCririck was put out to grass - and it has nothing to do with his age
- So why did Snapchat reject Facebook's huge offer?
- Chilcot Inquiry: Why should the conversations of Blair and Bush be made public?
- The abuse to Charlene White shows the issue of wearing a poppy has become massively overblown
- Cameron shouldn't have gone to Sri Lanka. But here are three things he can salvage from the trip
- Anti-rape underwear: Do women really need to put themselves under lock and key?
- Eric Schmidt joining the Economist is a feather in London's cap
- Keep cycling deaths in perspective
- Cameron is attacking those he thinks ‘lack aspiration’. What would he know?
- Why we all should Marvel at this Muslim superhero
- i Editor's Letter: The pain of never knowing what happened to your son
- The Hurlingham club has kicked out Vicky Pryce - but not because of what she did
- How the EU is thwarting states from continuing with capital punishment
- What’s behind an alarming rise in physical assaults on parents by their offspring?
- Let me introduce you to my trolls
- Why do private-sector zealots choose to ignore the countless ways public money underpins daily life?
- As Cameron prepares to travel to Sri Lanka for CHOGM, my husband - a journalist who criticised the regime - is still missing
- David Dimbleby gets inked: so what exactly does a tattoo even mean anymore?
- Lily Allen is right to aim at misogyny in the music industry - but her video doesn't quite hit the target
- It is the bystanders who helped lift a car off a cyclist at Spitalfields - and who saved me - that represent the real Britain
- The feeling of drinking alcohol without hangovers, disease or addiction? Bring it on
- End stagnation and create aspiration with free grammar schools
- Typhoon Haiyan: The scale of this catastrophe was preventable
- Cambridge Rear of the Year? It's still sexist
- It’s a good report but we need a firm strategy for A&E too
- i Editor's Letter: Prince Charles is right to intervene on behalf of British farmers
- Labiaplasty or “designer vagina” operations should not be marketed as a ‘lifestyle choice’
- Sri Lanka’s appalling human rights record raises questions about legitimacy of the Commonwealth
- Less is more: Fewer A&E departments means better patient care
- The Central African Republic hosts a crisis few know about in a country of which few have heard. Our help is needed urgently
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Sachin Tendulkar retirement: The 'Little Master' reaches 38 not-out on the first day of his final appearance for India
- Sachin Tendulkar retirement: How will India cope without its Little Master?
- Ashes 2013-14: Steve Finn closes on Test place with timely reminder of his strike-rate
- Australia Invitational XI v England, first day match report: Steven Finn and Boyd Rankin fail to convince ahead of Ashes
- Sachin Tendulkar retirement: Final test sees Little Master turn back the clock
- The Ashes 2013-14: Your complete guide to the tour Down Under
- Sachin Tendulkar retirement: The Little Master in numbers
- The Light Roller: The Ashes will be won and lost by old men and new-fangled salads
- The Ashes 2013-14: Alastair Cook told me the England team for first Test, claims Australia captain Michael Clarke
- The Ashes: Stuart Broad quickly hits stride but rival pacemen come up short
- F1: Lotus announce former Renault, McLaren and Caterham driver Heikki Kovalainen as Kimi Raikkonen's replacement for US and Brazil Grand Prix's
- F1: McLaren confirm Kevin Magnussen will replace Sergio Perez for 2014
- F1: Michael Schumacher rejected approach from Lotus to race in last two Grand Prix of the season
- Swapping skeleton for Snowdonia: Amy Williams prepares for World Rally Championship debut as co-driver
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- PS4 games on release: we pick the seven best for Sony's new console
- Defibrillator iPhone app launched to help locate life saving first aid equipment
- Motorola Moto G: a £135 smartphone to boost the budget market
- PS4 launch: Early reports of hardware faults dog the console
- Snapchat: Photo-sharing app rejects Facebook's $3bn acquisition offer
- Malicious software hijacks your phone’s microphone and camera to record your PIN
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Students outraged as ULU president Michael Chessum arrested in 'attack on the right to protest'
- Cambridge 'Rear of the Year' competition caught out over trademark infringement
- Student protesters rally in London as campaign to save ULU begins
- Westminster University students ‘furious’ after controversial Islamic preacher booked for charity dinner talk
- Protester cleared of threatening behaviour for calling Hove MP 'a coward'
- Bruce almighty: Rutgers University to offer a class in Springsteen theology
- The richer you are, the more likely you will get into a top university, says report
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh